Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I went and made my first thing out of metal.

Burntime

I have been practicing welding for a while. My iron worker buddy is going to make some hitchs so with his watchfull eye I made my first snow thrower hitch. I know for some of you guys this is mundane. For me it was a small victory!

Here is another pic...

Just some paint and it should be atached to the 42 inch blower I picked up. I have finally come to the point where I have confidence in my welds. They may not look perfect yet but I have become quite the grinder!!!:D

Good job, Mike. Did you find drawings for this hitch, or did you just measure another hitch? If you have drawings, could I get a copy?

Rod, I have 1 hitch and just copied it. I have parted out a few tractors and had the hull from a 916 sitting in the back yard so I just used my hitch as a template and then assembled it on the front axle. I am actually going to cut the front end off and my buddy is going to get me a plate and some angle iron from work to make a table to work on. It will clamp to the table and he is using my stick welder to make up a few hitches...

Great job, looks like a winner! I'm no pro, but I have learned that it's a lot easier to fix my ugly welds with a thick coat of paint rather than a grinder sm06

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Here is another pic...
[img]/club2/attach/Burntime/Hitch1small.JPG[/img]
Just some paint and it should be atached to the 42 inch blower I picked up. I have finally come to the point where I have confidence in my welds. They may not look perfect yet but I have become quite the grinder!!!:D
Mike, a grinder and a reasonable paint coating can make a Donald Duck rendition look like a piece from Rembrandt. You offered me a gift card this spring and I turned it down, but now I see it. Looking good.

Hey Bob, I offered to both you and your partner in crime you are welcome to come burn some rod! I am not good yet but I keep practicing!:D

My welds aren't pretty, but they hold. I don't spend a lot of time making things really pretty. Not worth the hassle.

Mine is my pride and joy:D But my iron worker buddy will if he ever starts production. I was going to try another one solo this week....

Well, this one is definitely gonna hold together.:D I definitely got good penetration with the puddle.... But your right. I have had a few do overs already:D I call them mulligans:D

Thanks, I already played today for a while and cut 4 of the 6 pieces to do another. I will probably cut up all the steel I have...and will need more of 1 size to make up 2 more. I am getting into this!:D

Here is what some free time netted me today. Heres what I made them on. I still need to add the pulley tab and paint but you get the idea.:D Now to start that backhoe:D:D:D

Looks great Mike, learning to weld is on my bucket list. What type of welder do you have? ARC..mig...tig...?

ac/dc 220 lincoln. I am no expert but the iron worker buddies say it is a bullet proof machine and will do most of what I need. It is hard to weld real thin stuff but hey, how thin is a tractor part:D So far I have welded decks, snowblowers, and made hitchs. I even welded on the time on a walk behind tiller and its still holding fine.

Let me know when you are welding the pulley tabs on. I want to convert an "old style" 2-pulley hitch into a one of these new style ones. We can cut the two tabs off (you can have one of them) and weld them in place for the new-style one pulley numbers. (and yes, I use the trem "we" loosely. I use it the exact way that my dad taught me when he used to say: "we need to go rake leaves" or "we need to bring those logs from the other side of the swamp up to the house"):D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• ShaunE
    • SmilinSam
    • a_sannine
    • maxwood
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts