Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rolling of lawns

MPH

I never heard of rolling established lawns before getting involed in this site. What is the reason for doing so? Around here if it turns green and you can mow it you have a lawn. To justify my tractor fever thinkin about doing some landscaping as Tok is gettings more civilized. MPH

I had to do it this year so it won't scalp my lawn (the regent), one thing though, I roll the yard then aerate, the roller packs the soil down too much so if you aerate then the soil won't be so compacted-BradW

If the lawn is smooth the soda can doesn't bounce out of the cup holder.heh heh heh. Now to figure a way to put a cup holder on my 1963 Simplicity 725. Ken W

Ben, I think some of the newer models (Regent?) do not have full width rollers on the back of the deck. My 1999 Sovereign has full width rollers and does not scalp. It works just like the deck on my AC B-1. Roy

I do the lawn rolling to smash down Mole hills! I've even chased those little suckers with the tractor and roller!80) You know, when you run over a mole with a roller, he doesn't appreciate it very much! 80) heeheehee! 80) Anyone want to by some Moleasses, real cheap? 80) Dick

Your write Roy but I think the 2000-01 Regent models do now. Ah well I think they do but someone correct me unless my eyes have failed me again. >>->happyjack<-<< P.S. Yes sir I just looked in the new Simplcity book and the Regents now have them like their big brothers clear across the back.

What kind of aerator actually works and is affordable? I'd even stretch the budget a little for something first class in a garden tractor or compact tractor size. Thanks, Don

Personally I like the coring type that use sharp hollow tubes to cut out "plugs" of soil. These plugs are dropped on top of the lawn and you can rake them up or roll them and mash them up (if they're dry enough). But, good ones are expensive. Next, I personally like the ones that cut grooves into the sod. My least favorite are the "spike" type that just push a hole down in the soil... The whole idea is to provide openings for air, water and fertilizer to enter the soil and get to the roots. If you just "drive" a hole in the ground, like a spiker, you're actually compacting the ground around the hole even more.... My two cents, from an amateur. Maybe a pro will speak up with some better tips...

Gentlemen, Any Regents manufactured after August 01, 2000 have full length rollers on the deck as well as a new design on the lever to adjust to deck height. The lever has a botton on top and is spring loaded. Simplicity claims this new lever reduces the effort required to raise and lower the deck by 33% over the previous design. The Regents have grown up and that is why I am buying one. Eight days to delivery and counting!!!! Marc PS: I called the dealer and he is going to install an aftemarket digital hour meter w/RPM guage for $40.00. He said I am the first homeowner he has had ask to add an hourmeter to a Regent! He said he sells these meters all the time to the commercial landscapers. How many hours should I go with the new Kohler 15hp before I do the first oil change?

Gentlemen, My decks have full length rollers across the back, and rollers under the deck -- behind the middle blade -- I'm sure these hidden rollers are a big part of anti-scalping. I don't know if the Regents or lesser decks have them. Mine are for Sovereign or equiv. regards, bobjack

Marc, I've always used the "rule of thumb" 25 hours. That's what I was always taught, and I've seen it posted on this forum several times. Dick

MPH, Back to your question, rolling is very good to smooth any frost heaving that takes place. I think you'd see huge benefits of rolling lawns in the far North where you are, though my recent experience has been in the Rockies, Minnesota and now Massachusetts. I know my Minnesota lawn frost heaved badly.... Left to mother nature's own devices, grass turf also does not look like golf courses. But, if you roll AND aerate you can keep the underlying soil and the grass that grows on top very SMOOOOOTTTTTHHHHHHH.... The combination of rolling and then using Simplicity's full-width roller decks should definitely give you a professional looking result, assuming that sufficient/decent grass was there to start with.... I would not recommmend rolling established lawns without aerating or you'll compact the soil too much. The reason I say established is that I would recommend rolling new lawns -- to a point -- but you limited your question to established lawns. My two cents. Kent

Thanks to all for all the 2 cents/2 bits and other good info. Kent, thinkin maybe I should start with this tiller I'm getting together on my 725 My "LAWN" has years of frost heave, sink holes and rotted out tree roots that were to mean for my 6hp troybuilt that homesteaded this patch of spruce trees. Thanks again..MPH

Actually the "initial" oil change should be about 5 hrs. This is to help rid it of any "break in" particles. It's also a good idea to change the oil filter too if it has one.