Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs Opposed Twin Charging systems

SmilinSam

Fortune would have it that a good Opposed twin Hrizontal shaft Briggs is sitting in my shop awaiting transplat into my 712S. The 12 Kohler "toilet" is smoking a bit too much these days:Y This Briggs currentl has a dual circuit alternator with the 3 amp unregulated charging wire & 14volt lighting wire. Is there any danger of cooking the bttery with the unregulated setup? Would the charging system keep up if I used the existing lighting off the battery in the 712 rather than using the lighting side of the alternator? I have a vertical Opposed briggs here too with the 5 or 9 amp regulated charging system. The tractor it came from had an electric clutch. If I wanted to incorporate the electric clutch into the 712 would I have to then use the regulated alternator rather than the 3 amp unregulated?

Sam, Hook the 3 amp unregulated wire up to the battery. Run the lights off the 14 volt lighting wire. It should work great. If you want to add the electric clutch, they you will most likely need the higher amperage of the regulated charge alternator.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Fortune would have it that a good Opposed twin Hrizontal shaft Briggs is sitting in my shop awaiting transplat into my 712S. The 12 Kohler "toilet" is smoking a bit too much these days:Y This Briggs currentl has a dual circuit alternator with the 3 amp unregulated charging wire & 14volt lighting wire. Is there any danger of cooking the bttery with the unregulated setup? The dual circuit sysytem seems to be the most popular circuit Briggs has out. Burning out batteries doesn't seem to be a problem. I have one one my DA 917 with a Briggs engine that I converted and had used battery when I did repower and this is fouth season on used battery. Sometimes in winter it can be a problem. Would the charging system keep up if I used the existing lighting off the battery in the 712 rather than using the lighting side of the alternator? That is a close call. If you use your tractor more a night then day, it's going to be close. Keep in mind if battery is up to snuff, two amps go to lights one to battery. I have a vertical Opposed briggs here too with the 5 or 9 amp regulated charging system. The tractor it came from had an electric clutch. If I wanted to incorporate the electric clutch into the 712 would I have to then use the regulated alternator rather than the 3 amp unregulated? Yep!!