Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
KenW

OK Fixing Axle Seal

KenW
I've ordered a replacement axle seal from Jacks, thanks all for the info on replacement. One final question is when I put the new seal on...how do I snug it up so it is in nice and tight? Thanks...Ken Williams

SmilinSam
Ken slide the seal on and try to align it up with the hole and take a plastic hammer or something like it and tap around the seal at or about the edge of it untill it starts to seat itself and gradually keep working your way around it untill it is all the way in. Be very carefull not to bend the seal or distort the seal portion of it or you will end up redoing it. Normally installing a seal would be done using a seal installer that fits the seal size wise and lets you drive the seal inplace without damageing it but you having your tube still on makes it alittle harder. Just go easy as it probably may be hard to get it started stragiht. You can also take a peice of wood and tap that with a hammer also while the wood makes contact with the seal. Good luck and holler if trouble arises. >>->happyjack<-<<