Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
joelk

Smoking 12 HP Briggs

joelk
I have noticed recently there is a lot of blue smoke from my 3112 engine, especially noticeable at idle. It seems to run strong and burns less than 4 ounces of oil between changes. I have had this tractor for 15 years with no engine repairs at all. What is the most likely cause? Is it something I should fix now, or just keep running it and see what happens? I am not a mechanic, so would appreciate your advice. I definately want to keep it running, as I use it for snow blowing as well.

steve-wis
If you don't mind adding oil and the smoke, run it till it gets bad. They can run that way for a long time. Causes could be rings or valve guides getting worn, most likely. Nice project to rebuild but unless you are faster than I am you would have to either mow or blow with something else for a bit. Steve

1969nicholas
My old Landlord 101 ran 12 years using oil.(My Dad brought it new in 66) I finally had to due something and rebuild the engine. They will run along time as long as you keep oil in them. When I rebuilt my 10hp Briggs I installed the new style air breather on carb .I already replaced carb 10 years earlier so the only thing I had to do was install the new style longer manifold and govern linkage. I live in Florida and its very sandy here. The old Briggs been running strong since rebuild for three years now. I have been converting all my old style Briggs over to the newer air breather set up. I have Simplicity Allis disease bad and cant stop looking for them and buying them.

dentwizz
I noticed with mine, the smoke comes from several places. I fixed the rings, they were out of spec, then the valves, then the ignition(just thought maybe an incomplete burn, nothing to lose). I eventually trimmed the float level in the carb a hair lower and it went away. Apparently the bowl was overflowing at random and was somehow puffing whitish smoke.