Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
acfarmer

Power Steering on a 9020?

D-17_Dave
Basicly it's the same setup I used on mine. I sourced the parts from several different places but this style setup is what I have and it works well.

RBE17
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Basicly it's the same setup I used on mine. I sourced the parts from several different places but this style setup is what I have and it works well.
Dave, I've looked at your build and some other retrofits. How do you know which box to get with respect to the number of ports? I see some boxes w/ four ports and some w/ five. Both of them seem to be able to work. Any help is appreciated as I'd like to do this, but know nothing about hydraulics. Thanks, Steve.

D-17_Dave
Steering valves with 4 ports have an inlet, outlet, and left and right cyl. ports. That is all that's needed for power steering. On a 5 port valve you gain the extra power beyond port needed for running the oil flow to a second valve so the oil flow can continue to do more work. In my setup, (and most others) you interrupt the oil flow to the lift valve and run it to the steering valve first. Since this is the obvious priority. Then the unused oil flow continues to the lift valve and on to the cooler as it first did. If the oil system on any piece of equipment has the oil flow split from the pump then a 4 valve setup will be fine. In this application a 5 port is needed due to the limited oil flow off the charge pump. There are a lot of principles and theories involved with hydraulics but in a nut shell by asking these questions in advance as you did you can start with the right components and not spend so much money chasing guesswork.