Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sluggish hydrostatic

SimpleMan

Please bear with me, I'm a little rusty with technical jargon, but I will try to explain the best I can. On my '98 Sovereign I notice a definite hesitation when I put the hydrostatic lever full forward. Almost as though it has to "catch up" first. I have looked under the seat, and do understand the mechanical workings of all the controls/ rubber rollers etc. What I want to know is there a way to adjust/lubricate the linkages so that when you push the lever forward the rubber roller doesn't stop half way, and then slowly start to move when the spring on the rod finally moves it along? I hope this makes a certain amount of sense. Thanks all for the help. Gord U. ps. I was told by my dealer that you do not want to lubricate too much. On that note...does anyone ever use graphite spray?

Same thing used to happen to me on a 83' soverign, reason: I was doing burnouts!! What happens on grass is the wheels slide then get grip and pick up speed, watch the tires and see what I mean! Good luck-BradW

I know what you mean...but I am not doing "burn outs". This slow response happens even when I move the lever forward slowly. I have also checked the movement of the rubber roller while I had the back of the tractor jacked up. There seems to be a definite "dead spot" in it's movement, and after a little while it gets past this point and continues on. I have checked the rubber roller for flat spots, or any kind of wear...it looks fine. I will admit, the spinning tires is a good thing to check for. Thanks.

Hi, You are on the right track. This has been an ongoing problem. Lubricate the shaft the shift cam is on in each frame plate. Then oil the pivot where the rod comes from the shift lever to the shift cam. The factory lubes the rollers with grease. Remove the roller and clean the bolt and lube the roller good. I don't know but it seems like we have seen a lot more of this problem in the last 10 years. I have talked to the factory about it. I personally think that the material the roller is make out of the last 10 years is softer than the ones that we had on the earlier tractors. On a couple of tractors I have even added a washer to each side of the cushion spring assy. I have always wanted to turn a teflon roller out and try it. If some of you machinists have access to some teflon try if and let us know if it helps. I just haven't got a chance to try it. Lubing all of those pivots makes a lot of difference though. Good luck, Al

Found it...! Message #3190...>>> Sandy Lake Imp reply. Maybe Bill will elaborate on this..?[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=3190&mode=short&startwith=0']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=3190&mode=short&startwith=0[/a]

Key stock or hose clamps works,, anything to 'take out' spring action improves performance greatly. good luck.

I don't have the problem with my '78, but did with my '96. Lubing as Al suggested helped 90%. Also check to make sure your control lever is not hitting the dash panel. That can prevent full travel back at the trans quadrant. I think I read a previous post from another dealer about this problem. Let me do some research before I mis-speak.

Thanks everyone, you all came through with flying colors...again! I lubed everything as was noted, and the performance increased dramatically. I decided to leave the spring as is for now. It's obvious that the owner's manual doesn't tell you everything. I also lubricated my top steering bushing. Now my tractor steers, (and the hydrostatic works ) better than when it was new. Again, thanks a lot. GordU p.s. I used silicone lubricant on some of the parts, if this doesn't hold up, I want to try graphite spray. Has anyone had any expierience with this? What were your expieriences with it?

Lock-Ease (or Eze) works good in a lot of applications where dry lube is needed. If you don't mind grease try Marine Lube Moly (from McMaster-Carr). Roy