Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC_B-1Novice

Need help with a deck problem

AC_B-1Novice
I finally got the deck on my 6216 to mow without seeing the cut of all three blades. Now I have another problem. After I engage the blades (all the while constantly on and off) I have a sound like metal hitting metal sort of a screeching sound. Also sounds like when you pickup a stone but it doesn’t do it constantly. I have taken the deck off and looked for trouble spots, I have new blades on it, the spindles seem ok (there is no place to grease them) and I can’t see a thing wrong but boy the noise is there. Could a noise like this be made on and off from a belt too tight or too loose? Need some help on this one because the only thing I know to do beyond what I have done is to let it go until it goes BANG and then I’ll know what is wrong. Don’t want to do that so any help will be greatly appreciated. larry

AC_B-1Novice
The blades all turn freely and there are no scrape marks of any kind on the deck underneath. It sounds like it is coming from the left side of the deck and does sound like a bearing or a bushing that was wallard out and rusty but nothing like that is down there. It sometimes sounds like a stone hitting the deck at times while the screeching is taking place. The top of the deck over the left spindle looks like it has been burned. I'll take a picture and post it. This is looking at it from the tractor seat. Does that make any sense when there is no sign of touble underneath? larry

sunrunner
I think the belt guides should be 1/16" from belts - Is the belt too tight or too loose? Does it slap against anything? (screeching??) Does the rock sound go: ting ting ting? Is the PTO properly adjusted? Talk to you soon - Chris

Brettw
It can be very hard to determine if the bearings are bad if there is a belt still on the pulleys under tension. Remove the belt and check again, it doesn't take much play to make for a poorly performing deck or funny noises.

AC_B-1Novice
I think I found the trouble but won't know for sure for a while. The idler pulley on the left side sounds a little gritty to me and wobbles a little more than I think it should. I pulled the deck off and I will replace that pulley and bearing but I just put the snow blower on (what a task for someone who has never seen one before and it was in pieces) and I will tweak it tomorrow. Winter isn't that far off and I want to be ready. No fun working on those things in the barn with the icy cold. Thanks to everyone as everyone was very helpful in my getting as far as I have. sm01 larry