Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Chris727

Rare Tractor? Info needed

Chris727
Hi, Last week I was out tractor hunting and found this for $20 (needless to say I broght it home).

The tractor looks just like any other old 6hp broadmoor except it has the "Demonstrator" decal on it. I found an old post where HammockJA had posted an indentical tractor, also found in Missouri. Unfortunately my original engine is gone, it has a later 1967 engine on it. In the old post, Elon had mentioned that the initial run of broadmoors, I suppose from very late 1963, did not have a grease fitting on the pivot, this tractor does not have the fitting and never did. I suspect it was made in very late '63 or ealry '64 to serve as a dealer demo to introduce the new broadmoor tractor. Can anyone confirm this? How many of these things are out there? Are they rare enough to be worth restoring, or should I leave it original. It does need TLC, it did come with the hood (not pictured) was missing the gas tank, deck covers, and generator, otherwise it does run and drive after putting a magnetron on it but it smokes some.

Chris727
Here is a link to the other Demonstrator post. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=42869&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Broadmoor

TimJr
Seems like in the old posts that I had come across some Simplicity dealer literature that explained the Demonstrator tractors. The dealer was given a discount on it or something - can't really remember anymore. Are you sure that isn't the right 6hp engine? The 717's used the One-Piece Flo-Jet carb, not the 3 bolt one like in your pics. If you take the head off, measure the bore. What is the tractors actual serial number - is it low? The black dash/white steering wheel versus the white dash and black steering wheel still is a mystery to me. From what I can tell, the early ones have the black dash - can anyone support/deny this? I almost say just clean it up, but don't restore it - the green moss/algae is beyond cool patina though. Tim

Chris727
Hi Tim, the shroud on the engine had a 7hp model # and code # indicating 1967. The head will have to come off anyway so I will check the bore then, seems I read that the 6hp had only about a 2.25" bore? It had a 3 leg armature on it but the engine block only has the two mounting studs as used with a later 2 leg mag, I think some parts such as the mag, carb, etc were swapped from the original. It would also appear from the '64 broadmoor info on the main Simpletractors page, that the air cleaner would have been an oil bath and this one is set up for a paper filter. Unfortunately the serial # is not legible. As for the black dash/white wheel, I thought all of the 6hp models in 64 and possibly 65 had this color scheme.

s_stephen
that is only the second broadmoor I've heard of with the demonstrator decal on it in the eight years iv been fixing simplicity and allis-chalmers garden tractors.

MrSteele
Nothing to do with a Broadmoor, but still relevant, I believe. I have a Landlord with 23D sheetmetal on a later model engine. That made looking for parts entertaining. After checking the bore, I found the right parts and was able to identify the engine. When I put it back together, it will still have the wrong sheetmetal and a few other parts, as well, just as yours might.

TimJr
I have a couple of the 6hp Broadmoors, one with black dash, and one with white. I don't have the serial numbers or engine numbers accessible to figure out which one was older. I do remember my black dash did not have the grease fitting at the frame pivot, and has 17x9.5-8 tire, not the 18x9.5-8 like my white dash and the 707 and 717's. Same Goodyear tire, just smaller diameter. The three years of the 6hp tractors are all the ones with exposed steering gears - no side panels to the dash like the 707 and 717's. What is the model,type and code off your shroud? A 707 is 170702 0123 and a 717 is 171702 - pretty sure of that, but I can't remember what the type numbers are for recoil and electric start. Tim

Chris727
Tim, I think the 18" rear tires came out on later models as an optional "Deluxe" tire. This is referenced in the parts manuals. There were also a "standard" and "deluxe" hub cap, the standard ones had a chrome hole plug in the rear axle flanges and a small chrome cover over the set collar on the front wheel. The deluxe had full baby moons. I think some of them also had smaller front tires as well. Mine does have the small rears but had the large fronts as it would appear all of the '64s did. As for engine #s I can get them when I'm home from school this weekend. I think the type # was 0122.