Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fueling Question

tishjoh

I have a Simplicity 7016 with a 16hp B & S motor. I just bought it a couple of months age. At first it ran great, then a couple weeks ago, it began acting up as the weather was warmer. It will run for a while, but then after a bit, it will just die like someone turned the key off. There was no sputtering or backfire, or anything to make me think it was the carb, so I went down to my local B & S shop and explained to them what was going on and they suggested that it sounded like an ignition. After making sure all my kill wires were not being pinched, I bought new plug and magnatron ignition coil. While I was at it, I decided to kit the carb as I have no idea when the last time was, and it was leaking a bit as well. After getting it back together, and getting the carb adjusted, it ran great. I had to go to work for 2 days, so my wife took care of mowing about half the property on a hotter day and had not problems. When I came home to finish, it ran great for the first hour then started dieing again. I found the old spark plug and widened the gap out to about 3mm, and carried it with me, the next time it died off, I quickly unhooked the plug wire and connected it to my "test" plug...I still had a great spark. I let it cool off for a while and came inside and searched the board here for a possible cause, but didn't find anything that I hadn't tried already. I went back after about an hour and is started up great and ran for 5 min and died again. As I sat there I noticed that the gas tank was at about a quarter. Just on a hunch, I went and grabbed the gas can and filled the tractors tank completely. It started the first time and away I went with no problems. I mowed until the tank got down to about a quarter again, and then the motor started having the same problems again. So all of this to say, does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Your help would be appreciated John

can you see through your fuel filter when it is stalling? is the fuel filter full of air at that point? Are you using a new fuel filter? could the screen in your fuel tank be getting clogged?

Possible vapor lock in the fuel line? Too close to the heat source and boils the fuel off? Or perhaps the carburetor? I believe there is a heat shield for those tractor models that is designed for use in the winter to keep the carb linkage from freezing up when blowing snow. If it is in place in the summer time, it may be causing the carb to vapor lock?

How is your fuel line routed? It doesn't possibly come upward to about 1/4 or your gas tank per chance, does it? Also make sure there is not some water in the tank. Completely drain the tank and filter and start over with fresh gasoline. Make sure the fuel line is not partially clogged. More fuel in the tank will make more fuel pressure and push fuel past a clog.

HubbardRA The line runs down from the tank and then flattens out and goes into the carb via a 90degree elbow. The tank was completly empty and I put a new fuel filter on it, before putting fresh none ethanol gas in. And the fuel line is all new. Brettw I wondered also about a vapor lock as the carb is relativly close to the muffler. No there is no heat sheild of any kind around the carb area goatfarmer I am pretty confident that the fuel cap is vented. It is brand new, and when I have taken it off troubleshooting, there has been no sucking sound like it had pulled a vacume. sammiefish As I mentioned above, the fuel filter is new. It is metal so I cant see inside it, but I think I will change it out with a clear plastic one, so I can see what is going on fuel wise. As for a screen in the bottom of the tank, I was not aware that there was one in there. Thank you everyone for your input. I will keep trying until I get it running smooth. John

this may not apply to you... but... as I think HubbardRA was saying Im not sure if your engine has a fuel pump...but I had an issue where the fuel pump was not working well and the original gas line routing took it on a slight upward path, I rerouted the fuel line such that it was "down hill all the way". This worked until I replaced the fuel pump...

I have a B&S Model 19 in a Simplicity 700 that did the same thing some years ago. It would run for 5 minutes and then quit. It would start fine after completely cooling. Nothing fixed it until I replace the coil.

On my 716H (Kohler) if I let the tank get less than 1/4 full it will start missing... my gas line does dip down low where the filter is and then runs up to the carb. I have transparent fuel line so I can see air in the line when that happens. I just keep it 1/2 full or more and it's fine.

Are you certain that the fuel line, and possible strainer in the tank are clear? My 16 HP runs fine, until the strainer in the tank gets trashed, usually at low fuel levels. While I am reworking the deck, the tank is coming off, and that strainer will no longer be a problem!