Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bob1959

HB212 Hydrostatic

bob1959
Well I finally got my hydro pump back and mounted it and put everything together. I started up the tractor and it idled and did not move while in neutral. I took it for a ride and it seemed to work fine till I came to a hill. It struggled to make a small incline and then sped up when coming down the incline. I rode it around for about 5 minutes to get the fluid thru the system and rechecked it and added some fluid. Ran it second time and it still will not hold on a hill when in neutral. Do I need to try and adjust the linkage on the hydro lever? Should it hold on a hill or drift? Thanks

PhanDad
Should hold on a hill without drift. IMO adjusting linkage won't help; There must be a fluid leak somewhere inside the pump/motor system. That would explain both symptoms: lack of hydraulic power and lack of hydraulic braking. My Vickers will hold forever sitting and at least a half hour parked on a hill without the engine running. Can't move the tractor without moving the "free wheel" lever. My Sunstrand will "leak down" within about 10 minutes parked on a hill and roll - found that out the hard way shortly after I acquired the Sunstrand hydro tractor and assumed it would behave as the Vickers. (Rolled down the hill, over the curb and into the cul-de-sac. Luckily there wasn't anything in the cul-de-sac to hit) dave45056 has recently rebuilt a Vickers and hopefully he, or another knowledgeable about the internals of a Vickers will be able to provide solution to your problem.

bob1959
Thanks PhanDad, but I just had this pump rebuilt by an old time AC dealer who really knows there stuff. I have no leaks visible. Maybe will try to run longer to get fluid thru the system better. I called the dealer and he said there could be some travel in the linkage (from wear) that might cause this because it is very sensitive to movement.

Brettw
It would seem if it was linkage, the same problem would have existed prior to the rebuild. Even old time AC dealers can make errors. The leaking discussed would likely be internal and not seen from the outside of the case. Hopefully it is linkage, but it doesn't sound that way.