Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Created a dilemma

RBE17

I have a dilemma and was wondering what you folks would do. I have two P'max machines now; a 4040 and a 9020. I want to split these machines into the following. 1) Loader / Backhoe machine 2) Mowing - summer & Snowthrowing / grading - winter My original plan was to assign the 4040 to #2 and the 9020 to #1. The reason being the 9020 had the upgraded front axle and large spindles. Perfect for loader work. However, in my rush to get a second machine I bought the 4040 not realizing it's hydraulic limitations. I know I have options, but was looking for some opinions and thoughts. Some background as I move into this. 4040: 454 hours, CCKA, rear pto 9020: Tired CCKB (~65-70 psi of compression) hours are unknown, no rear pto, but I have one to install, front axle needs to be rebuilt I have a replacement CCKB ready to install into one of these machines. However, has a larger diameter shaft and would require me to machine the front clutch. The tired CCKB would be rebuilt and then replace the CCKA in the 4040. The gear head in my will not die and I NEED those extra 3 hp. I plan to run the loader and backhoe pump from the rear pto only, thus theoretically negating the need for the front clutch. Money is a concern as I'd like to keep costs to a minimum. Time is even more limited than money. I only get a couple hours per week to do these things so, that is a real concern. I'm mechanically inclined. I have a torch, welder and numerous hammers and am not afraid to use them.}:) Options: a) Change plans and use the 4040 as the loader / backhoe machine and upgrade the front axle and spindles, install replacement CCKB and have at it. The 9020 would become the full time machine seeing duty in all seasons. Pros: 4040 axles get upgraded, no hydraulics get messed with, appears to be easier solution Cons: Forces me to get tired CCKB rebuilt faster for the 9020. I do not want to machine the clutch if I don't have to. I could swap in the replacement CCKB to the 4040 and put the CCKA in the 9020 until I get the tired CCKB rebuilt. b) Upgrade the 4040 hydraulics to run both a front and rear attachments. Install the replacement CCKB in the 9020, remove the front clutch and stick to my original plan as far as machine duty. Pros: Both machines will have front and rear control hydraulics. Allows me to get a good motor in the 9020 asap. Cons: Requires me to track down and buy hydraulic parts and control levers. Will force me to install the rear pto shaft and clutch assy into the 9020, where as the 4040 has a working one installed already. I'm leaning towards option (a) as it makes more sense to me. The rear pto is installed. I could install the replacement motor and swap the CCKA into the 9020 to get the tired one ready for a rebuild. I guess another question is, do I swap the 4040 and 9020 axles instead of tracking down another 9020 axle and spindles? So, now that this has become totally long winded, what do you guys think? Thanks, Steve. p.s. If anyone is wondering how these machines get so messed up w/ accessories, options and original parts missing, you have received your answer in this post.

Boy, I sure wish I had your dilemma!! However, I don't think I am the only member with the following sentiments:
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/millionaire0mw.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/worthlesswithoutpics.gif[/img]

I can't say A or B, (too much to re-read), I think you'd be happier with the loader on the heavy axle of the 9020 though. If upgrading the engine in the 4040 is near then do that and you'll have a 4041 with full capabilities for yard work that will work as well as any other tractor. If the front end is tight you won't be able to tell the difference under normal use. Another thought on upgrading the engines, swap out the crank into the newer short block. Then you'll have the correct engine upgrade for use now without the cost or delay of a rebuild. Later when the rebuild is on the table get a used crank that's correct.

Thanks Guys. Good suggestions here, some of which I obviously hadn't even thought about. Erik, Yes, it's a terrible dilemma. I wish it upon all my fellow tractor enthusiasts.:D:p Here are some pix.

Well, it looks like I'm going with option b. I called Sandy Lake for some other parts and asked if they had an axle and spindles from a 9020 or the hydraulic parts I needed. They had the hydraulic parts, so the 4040 will be updated and become the full service machine while the 9020 will be the loader backhoe machine. I was all set to go w/ the other option, but as I've learned with owning these machines, sometimes plans are dictated with what is available.

quote:
Originally posted by pungo
Get the one you need this Winter right, now. Get the one you need next Spring right,this Winter.
That's the plan for next week.

question ...if the 9020 had an updated front end and the 4041 is the low hour run time...would the front axles swap from one to the other?? that way you could use the 4041 for the loader and the 9020 for the yard work.

quote:
Originally posted by Dark
question ...if the 9020 had an updated front end and the 4041 is the low hour run time...would the front axles swap from one to the other?? that way you could use the 4041 for the loader and the 9020 for the yard work.
The axles will swap and that was a possible solution I had considered. The problem, for me, was making one machine less heavy duty. I'm fine w/ one originally being less HD, but couldn't bring myself to swap the parts and making my 9020 less HD. I'm weird like that.