Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Troy Built

Brettw

OK guys. I have been talking up all of you guru's for a while now, and it's time to test your mettle. One of my field techs just purchased a home that came with a Troy Built 13101-GTX16 Garden Tractor. It runs great, except when you engage the mower deck, it dies. The PO determined it was a part called the Coil-Clutch Field. Some type of electrical part. Sounds to me like a safety switch or electronic clutch of some kind. The part number is CUB 1754151 and it was about a $250.00 part! Anyway, the PO ordered it , paid for it, and then was informed it was no longer available and monies were refunded. Apparently this part is common to a few manufacturers (Cub too because of part number maybe?) Tractor is about 10 years old. Any help? Know where a part could be found? Know what this coil clutch gizmo is? Any suggestions for repairs or bypass? Any and all help from the tractor gods here would be greatly appreciated!

Brett, I think that you are talking about a Electric PTO Clutch. I don't think you have the right part number as my experience with MTD all part numbers start with 754-----. Most now start with 954----. I'd check the number again and do a search with the sites sponsor Jack's as they carry just about anything for MTD. Hope this helps!

I have contacted Troy Built to try to hunt this part or answers down. This model tractor was built by Garden Way (never heard of them) who went bankrupt in 2001. Troy built tractors have since been and are being built by MTD. This part is NLA, so I have my work cut out. However, I can see a failed electric clutch not engaging or disengaging, but not killing the ignition. I still feel this may be a safety switch issue and not the clutch. I will have to get my hands on the tractor and diagnose myself I think.

Is it possible that a dead short in the electric clutch would kill power to the engine and stall it? I would try taking the wires off the clutch (I assume they plug into or onto a connector) and then try to engage the deck. If the tractor doesn't stall, it is probably the clutch, but if it still does, the problem must be somewhere else? Steve

As soon as I can get my hands on the tractor, I will check all of the above suggestions. I figure, it either kills instantly and squeals, grinds to a halt, or it shuts down like it would if you turned the key off. That will be the first indicator of electronics affecting ignition, or mechanical resistance from a frozen clutch. Then we will did a little deeper.

Brett Steve hit it dead-on. Unplug the pto clutch(the plug is usually at the clutch or where the leads to the clutch pass through the frame) If the engine starts then the clutch is shorted,time to replace it. The coil-clutch field is the actual coil(as in a solenoid switch)that activates the two halves of the pto clutch. Some clutches(this sounds like one of them)are rebuildable with the parts available seperatly. If the coil is NLA maybe a complete pto is still being sold. If all else fails,you could likely find a clutch that fits your crankshaft that will work for this unit. Clutches are pricey. I've seen them anywhere from $225-$425 retail. Larry All the safeties(seat,netural,brake and pto)feed through the pto switch. The pto switch itself may be shorted internally or there may be a shorted wire in the safety circuit or a bad safety switch.