Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

poping in right axle

richters2

When I get my 3112H in a hard pull something around the right axle pops.any ideas? Thanks Dennis

From a seated position the right side has the differential. Have you checked to see if it is binding up? Sam

Dennis you might try jacking up the right rear tire so that is clears the ground and rotate it to see if this poping sounds can actually but felt while doing so. If it can while turning the tire back and forth place your hand on the Differial and check to see if you can feel binding anything thru the housing. It could be that you bevel gears are worn out in the diff. and if so it will have to be rebuilt. One more thing is to check and see if there are any cracks around the axle tube around the area that the axle shaft enters it. Other wise it will be a take apart and look deal regardless. Let us know how you make out and even if you understood what I said "ok" as its hard at times to explain just how to check something. Good luck, >>->happyjack<-<<

sounds like an almost broken axle tube to me.They make that kind of noise before they break.

I'll put in my nickels worth. If this sound is more pronounced during turning (because you are using the differential gears when turning), then it sounds like a broken tooth on either the hub gear or the axle gear (both are in the differential). Mike S.