Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Opposed twin.... billowing white clouds

SmilinSam

My 16 twin Briggs did a strange thing the other day when I got it running in the tractor. Its been running on the stand and in the tractor just fine then for about 25 seconds or so it all of a sudden started billowing out white smoke from the muffler. After 25 seconds it quit smoking and hasnt done it since. I checked the seal at the dipstick and that seems fine as does the breather tubes and line from the vac operated fuel pump to the crankcase. The pump has also been rebuilt. Anyone have any ideas what happened there or what I need to look at?

Was this tipped drasticly? I have a log splitter that if you hit a certain angle you get a good puff, other then that nothing... Just a thought...

If the crankcase breather gets stuck or blocked it can allow oil to pass through it to the carb. and burn some oil. I'd pull the breather and clean it well and check the reed for smooth operation.

I did tip it to install it in the tractor , but it ran fine for about 10 minutes prior to the episode. Before I ran it the compression was around 95 lbs on each side. Havnt taken a reading since running it. Muffler was dry. I'll take the breather apart and give it a good cleaning...

You may have dumped a little oil out the exhaust into the muffler when you tipped it. Not enough to blow out, but enough to make a smoke when the muffler got hot enough to burn the oil.

Here's the results of closer examination... One of the two breathers was broken. There is a disc inside it that seals as the engine draws a vacuum. This disc was cracked and broken off along one edge. Every time the disc would vibrate over to that edge it would not seal. As the vibration continues it eventualy moves and seals again. I swapped one from the parts engine into this engine. Seems to have fixed that problem. On another note, the fuel pump was full of oil and took a while to get cleaned out and running right again. Once that was fixed I found I must have bent the spring arm on the governor slightly, enough that the engine wont maintain a load when working. It only maintains about 3/4 to 1/2 the load it should. I figured I 'd either try the next hole over for more spring tension, or try bending the arm a little in that direction..

Loosened the gov arm and reset it turning rod counterclockwise with throtttle open. Maintains a load now, but surges at 2/3 or higher throttle. I assume I'll have to try and move the spring to a lower hole for less tension.?.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
I assume I'll have to try and move the spring to a lower hole for less tension.?.
Sounds correct, just do one hole at a time.

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
What Bob is trying to say is "just do it one hole at a time.":D
Yep, and then there is a chance you might have to add tension as silly as it seems.

Sam, try richening the idle screw. The primary still feeds some of the idle even with the throttle open. A lean idle WILL cause a surge as the engine hunts for fuel and looses speed then opens the butterfly enough to get fully on the main jet then gets a bunch of fuel and speeds up then slams the throttle closed again.

You might want to check the play in your throttle shaft. My governor was searching at the same speeds as yours and I tried everthing with no results. So I took a light push spring and put it under the float bowl screw so as it would apply a slight pressure on the throttle shaft and BINGO, it runs like a top. No more surging and the governor responds instantly:Q. If need be I can post a picture of my fix. Chris

Dave, I'll give that a try this weekend when I get another chance to work on it. Chris, I found that the bushing in the hole in the gov arm went missing before the surging problem. I commadeered one from another engine and that cured the problems I was having with little to no throttle movement and slow throttle response. Thats when the surging began. Should have this whipped in the next round of fiddling with it.

Gotr it whipped. There was a secondary tension spring underneath the plate that the primary spring pulls against. It was totallly loose. Tightened it up and now the thing purrs like a kitten^ Not bad for junk huh?:D
quote:
That's great. What are you going to do with your spare time when you beat this beast? Chris
Got a carb on the CT -10 to rebuild, swap in a deep air filter assembly onto my K321 on the 914 in place of the shallow one, need to paint the hood & wheels on the 5010 and rub out the rest of the tractor, K301 on the other 712S need rings and front wheels painted, got to sort and hang all the additional spare parts accumulated in the last few weeks, need to trim more on the trees in the yard, build a door, weld a gate together, cut some more brush out of the fence, and so on and so on..... ...but only if and when I feel like doing any of it8D

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
Naaaah, who want's to do all of that, when you can watch the Packers get beat by the Bears tonite....yellyell
Sez who???sm00sm00sm00:D