Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC_B-1Novice

Is this worth $500.00

AC_B-1Novice
20 HORSEPOWER SIMPLICITY SUNSTAR WITH NEW ENGINE AND 60 INCH DECK WITH 3 SETS OF BLADES. WE BOUGHT A ZERO TURN MOWER AND NO LONGER NEED THIS ONE, IT HAS NOT BEEN USED FOR ABOUT 4 YEARS AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THE HYDRO PUMP IS GOING OUT. IT DOES A WONDERFUL JOB OF MOWING BUT JUST NEEDS THE HYDRO PUMP WORKED ON.FEEL FREE TO MAKE A REASONABLE OFFER,WITH A LITTLE WORK THIS WOULD MAKE SOMEONE A GOOD MOWER

Is this a large frame tractor? thanks

garryvh
I have no experience with the Sunstars (not old enough), so I can't offer an opinion on hydro pump overhaul costs - hopefully someone else can. Having said that, based on the seller's description, the machine was used commercially. You know that the engine has already been replaced and that the hydro unit is worn out. That being the case, I would expect other things to have more wear than if the machine were just used by a homeowner. Examples are mower deck wear parts - bearings, rollers, power steering components, wheel bearings, etc. I recommend finding out from the current owner how many hours the machine has on it. I believe these machines came from the factory with hour meters. If not, the owner should be able to give you a reasonable estimate, based on how many seasons the machine was used commercially. If the owner balks, you might want to think twice about offering a bid. I don't have any experience with the trans-axles on these machines, but would also be concerned about accelerated wear - this could be potentially very expensive to repair. Another unknown is how well the machine was maintained (or not). Hopefully others with specific experience with this machine will offer opinions. My AC 720 was used commercially to cut municipal ball fields. Based on my personal experience, I probably would not purchase another machine that was used commercially. Good luck. Garry VH

SmilinSam
Used sunstars for parts are no where near as plentiful as the soveriegn types of various models. Used parts are not as easy to come by. The price is good from a parts perspective, but to fix and use3 i8t all depends on how much $$$ its going to take to fix. All said and done you should be looking to come in under $1000 total investment to make it a good buy. My opinion anyhow. May be other thigs needing work seller is unaware of, as it is a rather old piece of equipment.

RBE17
You can read about the history of the Sunstar on the main page. From what I've read the 20hp ones are very desirable. That's assuming the 20hp engine is the original motor. If I was considering I'd research how much the hydro repair or replacement would cost. Then I'd go look at the machine and try to assess how bad it was. I'd then make an offer from there. FWIW, I believe there is a Sunstar being parted out on ebay at the moment. Good luck, Steve.

Cvans
Just a thought, my Brother in-law is a Simplicity dealer and he said If I purchased one with power steering to make sure it is operating correctly because the parts are very exspensive. I had the Allis version of the tractor. They are big and take some room too turn around. The steering is geared down so you spend more time cranking on the steering wheel. That said it looks like the one pictured has power steering. They are a heavy, well built machines. But like everything else they are prone to wear so check it over good. Chris

AC_B-1Novice
Purely academic now, some guy called from Cincinnati and bought it sight unseen. It was in Columbus 100 mi from Cinci. He who hesitate... but I'm just not that knowledgeable.

Chris727
It doesnt say anything about having been used commercially, a homeowner could have also upgraded to a zero turn. I would watch for something that looks clean, garaged and well maintained (though sometimes looks are deceiving.) When we refer to large frame tractors on this board we are usually refering to models which have a bevel gear box in the center like your B-1. None of the large frames came with a deck larger than 48." The sunstars are a step above a large frame, as they have a direct shaft drive hydrostat, much heavier tractor.

Jason_M
I would have been all over that. I have three of those tractors, and parts are NOT hard to come by, or that pricey. The hydro rear is the same as the John Deere 420, 430, and those rearends do not bring that much money. I've sold the hydro pumps for those for 100 bucks repeatedly. As far as hour meters...my personal opinion is hour meters mean squat, the same as car odometers, basically I consider them a VAGUE indicator of the tractors use. I drive a truck daily that has 220+ thousand miles, and I consider it more dependable than my 2004 F150. Hour meters can be changed, motors and parts get changed, and maintanence goes a long way as far as longevity. That's why you see machines with blown engines that are almost new, and machines used 30-40 years that still have the original motor. I don't even bother to look at an hour meter when I buy a tractor, and usually, if someone is really hung up on the hours a 25 year old tractor has....they probably do not have the mentality it takes to operate, maintain and own an older classic tractor. I've had people call who have no business wrenching on anything ask about an older john deere or something, and I steer them away. Bang for the buck, older can be a great way to go, but you WILL have to work on it and replace things sooner or later.

rpickle
I called and talked to the owner a few days ago. He is a farmer and bought the mower new. They used it to mow 5 acres. He told me how many hours were on it, but I forget. I couldn't get him to say what he wanted for it. I told him I would research the hydro situation and get back with him. Never did either one.... Rick