Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
xenon172

Tubing Tires

xenon172
We've been working on a restoration for a customer and just finished up the rims and installed new tires. The rims were sand blasted down to bare metal, sanded and primed and for all intents and purposes are in as new condition. The tires being mounted are Carlisle 23-10.50-12 turf savers 4 ply. The customer wanted tubes in these for extra insurance against any future leaks so the appropriate tubes were also installed. Was this over kill or a smart move considering these are brand new tubeless tires? It's not much work to put in tubes but it does add about $40 to the cost of a pair of tires.

bud119195
I don't think it was a bad decision. If customer was willing to pay the extra I would say not a problem . As they say the customer is always wright,

PeppyDan
I put tubes in every tire that I mount. There is nothing more aggravating than getting a tractor all painted up and then having a tire with a slow leak because the old rim did not seal properly to a new tirengr2. Then I need to break the beads on the tire and install a tube which usually scratches the paintwah, so then I need to touch up the paint which can still be noticed by me :(from that time until I sandblast the rims again because the imperfections drive me nutssm00! Dan

RHA
Different strokes, for different folks.;)I Sandblasted primed and painted my rims three years ago.They came with no tubes,so I thought I'd give it a shot!!Well its been three years and I've never had to add air yet!!!!8DNow that I've typed this out I'll go in the garage to find four flatssm00}:)Richard

steve-wis
Because more often than not I am mounting old tires on old rims, I always put in the tubes for all the reasons above, and also because I just feel better with them in there! Steve

captainweezy
I prefer no tubes unless I have to. If you get a thorn or object in the tire and it causes a leak, then you will be out another tube most likely. I know you can patch a tube but its still the point. That's just my opinion. However If the tractor is just a parade runner or showpiece, I wouldn't have a problem sticking some tubes in them.sm01

lilbucksht
quote:
Originally posted by pungo
I have never had a Lawn and Garden tire that didn't leak.}:) I put tubes in all of em.
Ditto, especially if you dont own an air compressor.

fishfishburn
I put tubes in all of my tires as well. That is the only way to stay happy while mowing and parading. Otherwise you get yourself all ready for the show and then look dumb with a flat.

timflury
I didn't put tubes in mine. If I have a failure and the need arises, then I would install a tube. Do you know how hard it is to get a tube into a 4" rim without pinching the tube anyway???

dentwizz
Actually it's hard to fit it through the hole but pinching is not all that much of a problem if you blow it up a little first. Just like when you do a bike, but with a much tighter hole. The guy I bought my tractors from said he had tubes put in so that he could air them up with a hand pump. Sensible considering old tires and they sat flat for a long time.