Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sucking Green

Just tried out the old PTO vac on my Sovereign. I removed the Vac from my 10hp Landlord. Completely disassembled and inspected the entire Vac, replaced 2 bearings, and installed a variable pitch impeller shaft pulley. Installed the Vac (with new belts) on my 18hp Sovereign, adjusted the vari-pulley until the Vac sounded something like an F-16 and every dog in the neighborhood started howling. Installed all new ducting (with a 20’ roving nozzle hose), and made a pretty neat roving nozzle wand from 6” galvanized 26 gauge flu pipe. I used a shelf bracket for the lower handle and a Stanley barn door handle for the upper. I adapted the 6” flu pipe to the 7” hose because it’s easier to handle and I figured anything that can pass through 6” wouldn’t clog the 7” duct. This thing kicks some serious butt. Piles of heavily matted soggy oak leaves - easy. Acorns, pine cones and needles - child’s play. Leaves in the ivy beds – gone. I’m just afraid this thing will suck the green out of the grass

Only one caution, Herb -- stay away from the John Deeres.... Their owners are touchy at best -- sensitive to the special green paint that costs about $1000 a gallon, as I figure it.... 8o) Kent

Herb, I particularily like the part about adjusting the speed until the dogs began howling. Sounds like a neat rig. Roy

Hmmm, if you'd take the impeller and turn it around you might actually be able to make and F-16/Simplicity. I'll look for you overhead...okay maybe not. Glad to hear it works so well. GordU

Hey you might want to point that there nozzle in the direction of a pretty lady that might happen to be passing by and see what happends.....it might just really get you in trouble when your wife sees her cloths flying thru the air "opps" did I just say what I think I did ha :) >>->happyjack<-<<

Jack, Great minds do think the same. I've already tried to suck the clothes off a pretty lady (my wife). She was working in the yard today too, but quit at a sane hour, went in, took a shower, and changed into some kind of flimsy flowing garment. When she looked out the window and saw me vac-in' her flower bed she ran outside warning me to be careful. Naturally I couldn't let that opportunity pass. Swung the nozzle around and damn near made her naked.

I was using a shop-vac to clean the grass off of a JD I used to have and it suck the the dirty green paint right off of it. :o) Jordan

Hey I thought this site only talked about tractors!!! Dutch, Was the wife still talking to you after you blew all the dirt and debris her way just after she came out of the shower all nice and clean?? I can tell you the reaction I would get from my wife........I would be sleeping in the shed with the tractor and the vac for a long time!! You had to expect you were going to get some replies with the subject line you picked!! Come on guys, fess up and tell us what you were thinking when you saw the subject line before you opened the message and read it!! I know I wasn't thinking about green grass. Marc

I wasn't that cruel (that day). I turned the vacuum side to her, NOT the outlet side. There was no dirt and debris anyway, she just took a shower.