Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Throwing PTO to Deck Belt

laytonlight

My Mutt, basically a 2010, has a habit of throwing and subsequently grinding up belts. It's not regular, but it seems to happen once a month or so. The bearings feel OK in the PTO. There is some side to side play (About 1/8 to 1/4") in the PTO pulleys. It does rub on the deck bale some, as has been discussed here before. Any ideas? Most times it will drop down between the PTO pulley and the PTO and be ground up in short order, even if I stop it quickly. The darn things are expensive! ngr2 I was wondering about tension. It's a new, stock spring on the PTO (This spring is 1st use.)

My belt tossing problem stemmed from a loose bearing in the deck spindle. When I hit a harsh bump the spindle would rock over and change the angle of the belt in the pulley. This would allow it to climb out and toss. New deck spindle bearing cured it. If your loosing the belt at the pto I'd recommend changing those bearings as well. A small amount to eliminate the costly belt.