Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bevel gearbox (bgb) oval input

jrmorrill

The BGB in my Landlord 2010 ate-it the other night. I got it out and apart tonight. The input shaft managed to slightly oval the round hole is passes through. I've read this is common but I haven't read about any solutions, other than replacing the whole unit. The bearings don't ride in the now-oval opening. (The needle bearing is pressed into this hole) I was thinking of pressing in a new oil seal (and bearing) and JB welding the remaining gap. Yeah, it's not a perfect solution. I'd be happy to hear about other people's solutions to this problem. Thanks, Jason

Take it to machine shop and have them bore hole larger and fit-press sleeve in it to fit std. bore brg. Or check on larger od needle brg to fit corrected bore? Another fix we did to one in our pullers is more work, we had longer input shaft made and bolted large cast flange brg on front side of frame where it bolted. And you have to shorten drive shaft.

I was thinking the same thing as farmtoybuilder. Figure out whether to use a larger OD bearing, or a sleeve to fit the original size bearing, and see if the box can be machined to fit.

Hi, Replace, or bore and sleeve. Remember if you have it sleeved, they MUST dial in on the seal bore as no longer being round you can no longer center from the bearing bore. Al Eden

Thanks everyone, To keep things simple I'll pickup a used BGB and rebuild it with new bearings and seals. Hopefully it won't need new gears and shafts. If I chose to bore and sleeve the old one I would need new gears and shafts in addition to wondering if the fresh sleeve is properly centered. Although, it seems that a competent machine shop should be able to easily center bore in my ovaled housing. Jason

Al, You mention indexing from the seal bore for sleeving, this makes sense but I'm having a hard time envisioning this. Does the BGB case have a stepped bore ?- one diameter for the seal and another for the bearing? I don't see another way to properly index if it has a single bore that is fragged (I have yet to see this up close). Thanks, Mike

Jason - I would not even consider using JB Weld to fill the gap between the casing and a new needle bearing. I love using JB weld, but there is just too much stress in this area of the BGB. I also would not recommend boring out the casing to install a new bearing and seal. The previous owner of my Big Ten tried it and the results were not good. Before I pulled it apart, I did not even realize that this modification had been made. I had new needle bearings ready to go and was trying to round up a new input shaft from Erik the Wisconsin parts supplier, just in case. I knew there was some slop, but just thought the needle bearing was shot. This is what I found:

First, there was no front seal, just gobs of silicone to try to keep the oil in. Here is a picture with the bearing removed:

Note that it was not bored evenly and what was left around the edge was thin. Maybe it was pressed fairly tight when it was first put in, but it certainly wiggled itself loose over time. The excess movement caused this:

This is the rear bearing on the input shaft. The excessive side-to-side movement literally broke it apart. My solution was to get a decent used BGB (thanks Erik) and install the new needle bearings and seals that I already had on hand. Glen

I think I have a case that is still in a HB112. The rest of the tractor was junk and the case had a lot of play in it but the housing may be still good. Let me know and I will check it out. nick