Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sundstrand Rebuilder Wanted

My son has been using the 917 and it sounds like the hydrostat is giving out. Fluid is full etc. but it pauses for 3-5 seconds before moving when you move the lever forward or back. It was getting tired before I gave it to him. It also no longer moves at full speed. I called a small shop near Hastings, MN that rebuilds hydros but he said it would be $1100!!!! :O I'll junk the tractor and buy a different tractor before spending that kind of money. Or find a good used hydro. Anyone know of other re-builders?

I would put an ad in the classifieds here and state where you live. Maybe a member lives close that would have one. If its in fairly good shape, I would keep it and try to find a new hydro for it. I have a good hydro from a 712h that I am parting out but I'm not sure it would work. :) Shane

I'd do a good cleaning and lubricating of the linkage and controls before condeming anything. The linkage on the sundstrands is nortorious for getting stiff and jumpy. Most of them I've seen require the caged spring in the linkage to be locked due to wear and friction, even after it's serviced.

Hi, I agree with Dave. The problem is probably the cam roller on the control arm on the front of the unit. Remove this roller and clean the bolt with spray carb cleaner. (Wal Mart has this in spray cans for about 1.40 a can. I buy it 10 to 20 cans at a timie, it is a great and cheap cleaner)(Tech Brand) Then clean the roller and lubricate with white grease. Next go to the pivot on the rod from the lever to the cam assembly, lubricate well and oil the shafts on the cam where they pivot on the tractor frame side plates. with these symptoms, this will likely fix this unit Al Eden. Just deduct the 10.00 membership dues and take the 1090.00 that is left and buy another tractor.

I'll haul the 17 GTH-L up to my son's place next week and trade with him. I doubt it's the linkage, but I'll check it. I think it's more likely to be a very tired charge pump combined with worn pistons in the hydro pump or motor. If you park it on a slope, it doesn't take long before it's rolling downhill.

If worse comes to worse, I use these people, they don't advertise for garden tractors but they have the parts in stock. http://www.centralhydraulics.biz/hydro_pumps.htm

There is a guy in New Germany that has all kinds of parts tractors, mostly JD, but I bought a complete hydro rear end from him for a hundred bucks, worth looking into. His ebay seller name is danfromcds

Dunno if the Sundstrand Hydro you have is similar to those used in the Pow'r Max series tractors , but had the one in my 9020 rebuilt ... Cost was $1728.00 after taxes in Canadian funds ... works out to be about $1100 - $1200 US funds .