Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Magnum M20 Oil Seal Replacement

stevenj

I need to replace the front and rear crankshaft oil seals on a Magnum M20. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove them without disassembling the entire engine? Thanks!

Engine disassembly is not neccessary. Pull it out set it on the bench remove the clutch on the back, the shroud and flywheel on the front. The seals can be picked out, and the new ones oiled and pressed in. Don't forget to set the gap for the ignition module. Kohler's manuals are pretty decent. I'm guessing you have a very messy oil problem. Are you sure it's the seals and not the crankcase breather reed? I've had both problems, and they both will fill everything up with oil.

Comet66, Engine is out. I had the cylinders honed 0.010 over and have new pistons and rings ready to go in. Valve seats and valves look good, but will need to grind the valve stems to set the exhaust valve clearance as it was too tight when I took it apart. It's been out of the tractor for a while, but I do recall the PTO end being rather oily when I pulled it out. I've got a new breather reed & plate. The flywheel end and the flywheel was caked in fine dirt. I've got the new seals ready to install, just wasn't sure how to get them out. The service manual just says to remove them.......now why didn't I think of that? :(! When you state that the seals can be picked out, do you insert a pick under the seal lip and pull them out or do you have to pick at the OD of the seal case and pry them out. I'm not sure how much of a press fit the seals have in the case. Both seals are pressed into the bore enough that I can't gain access to the OD of the seal. The service manual states that they are to be pressed below the face although one of them appears to be cocked slightly.

I've replaced axle seals and hydro pump seals using a method Al Eden told me about. Drilled the seal, inserted a sheet metal screw and pulled it with claw hammer, pry bar etc. I would think this approach would also work on Crank Shaft Seals but others may have a better approach.

They do set below the surface. The manual says how much. I can look it up later, but don't remember off hand. I have a double ended dental pick like the dentist uses on your teeth. There is a seal removal tool that does the same thing. I just poke the 90 deg. end through the rubber seal and work it out. I don't know that a screw would get enough grip without tearing out of the rubber.