Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Should a Sovereign Hydro roll?

dlcentral
True,the trac will or might,,, SLOWLY,, 'creep'that's normal on a grade Use park brake.If it just rolls away you gotta problem take back to dlr. for warrantee service..

MPH
I have always owned gear tranny AC's. Bought a new Sovereign last year because it was my last chance to buy a new one. Great Tractor, but I am concerned about one thing. With the engine off, occasionally this tractor will roll down a slight grade. Other times it is rock-solid and will not move without raising the seat and depressing the bypass. I always use the parking brake, but my big concern is SHOULD THIS HYDRO TRANS ALLOW THE TRACTOR TO ROLL? DO I HAVE A POTENTIAL HYDRO PROBLEM?

Kent
How steep is the hill..? Does the tractor actually roll, or does it gradually move in "spurts" like pressure is built up and released..? IMO, the parking brake isn't much for these heavy tractors and the little lock handle must always be kept adjusted to spec. Whenever I leave mine unattended on a grade, I push one of the wheels up to a curb or stump.

Al
Hi, This is pretty normal. When the tractor is running, the charge pump pressurizes the pump chamber. When the tractor sits for a while, the oil in the uper case drains into the lower case. Then the oil under the motor pistons slowly leaks out and the pump only gets air which is very compressable and allows the pump to be turned relatively easy. I have seen tractors that would set for several hours and not roll down a slope, and I have seen others that wouldn't set on a grade for more than 15 minutes. I think most of the 7000 and 7100s I have seen would all roll after a while setting on a hill without the brake set. Good luck, Al

MichaelGT
I just bought a new Sovereign hydro and discovered that mine will also roll on incline. Neither of the 73's rolled. I was really surprised! I guess I will need to make sure it is not pointing towards the pond!