Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler K-582

xenon172

I came across a Bolens HT-23 in my area that is a late 70s tractor with a 23 hp Kohler in it. The price was out of my league but the machine got my curiosity up as far as the engine is concerned. While browsing the Kohler page I noticed that Simplicity used this engine in a chipper at least according to Kohler. Anyone have an idea of what sort of machine this chipper might have been?

Simplicity bought Baker which makes chippers. Here is a manual with a 23hp Kohler on page 42. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=ifDCFO9brH1sF5Dyh6lFP5NRQpe

Never seen anything Simplicity or AC wise with that engine on it. It looks as if the chipper on page 42 is a 20HP model. I have a Gravely model chipper with that engine on it made by Promark. I also have some experience with this model engine from some equipment in the past. It's a brute. I'd say it was the pinnacle of L-head designed engines. All cast iron, pressure lubed, peppy and powerful. I have the one on my chipper and an older extra on the shelf as well as the 20HP version that was used in the early Deere 400 tractors. Too bad Simplicity/AC never used them.

We pull against a 900 series AC with the 582 Kohler in it. The frame had to be modified quite a bit to carry this engine. It is a lot different than the KT17, KT19, M18 and M20 engines. It is much wider, longer and taller, and weighs almost 50lbs more. It also is 11 cu. in. more than the KT19/M20.