Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A few questions on a 7116 from a Newbie

bakerman

Hi, First, Just want to say what a great Website and Forum this is! I'll try to keep this short but I have a few questions. I have a Simplicity 7116 Hydro approx 1980 or 81 which I purchased earlier this year. The guy that sold it to me said he had changed the fluid in the Hydro and not to worry about it. Well, I am, I would like to change it to do a service on it. What's best to use? I have heard everything from Mobil One to regular tranny fluid. Also, this unit has an electric lift, he told me I can convert it to a hydraulic lift with no problem. Is this true? I haven't seen any hydraulic units available, would like to find one if it can be done, but I am still kind of wondering if he just sold me a story. The Tractor seems pretty strong, the mower deck is falling apart and I am going to have to replace it before next year. I had an old B-110 several years ago and it was the best tractor I ever had, wished I never got rid of it. Guess that's why I jumped on this one. Hope someone can answer my questions and thanks for listening!

Hi Gary, First off welcome to the club. I use type F. Mobile one is a motor oil and is not a fluid that is recommended by the manufacture. He didn`t sell you a story. Hydraulic lift can be done. You will need a shim kit for the sunstrand (check with RodH he has the part numbers needed), a cylinder and a hydraulic lift lever. Mower deck housings are still available new. Electric lifts are not that bad.

Thanks Ray, that is making me feel better already. Are hydraulic units hard to come by or are they still out there? Also, on the deck issue, I have one spindle that sounds kind of noisy and wobbly, I have been greasing it like crazy trying to get thru the mowing season. Is it better to get a different pan and a new spindle or just go all the way? In other words, if one starts to go do they all go? Thanks for the help

There is also Mobil 1 transmission oil. It would probably be fine to use. I still have a little AC 821 hydraulic/transmission oil left that was called for in the AC units and will use it up before changing to the Mobil 1 transmission fluid.

Welcome!d:) If you just use your tractor for mowing, I would stick with the electric lift. If you do any snowplowing, or snowblowing, I wouldn't recommend the electric lift. I have one on my AC 712H. It's slow, and sometimes inconvenient with a blade.

Thanks, To all, Must be he was talking about the Mobil 1 Transmission Oil. Yes, Planning on plowing and or blowing with this, this winter, unless we luck out with no snow in upstate NY!

The grease fittings on the deck arbors are there so you can squirt grease in to prevent rust. As the shafts turn, the grease coats the insides (there's actually a part called a "flinger" to "fling" the grease around). As someone mentioned above, the bearings themselves are sealed. Not hard to replace.