Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 919 runs/shuts off and other "stuff"

SgtBob

Hello all. I have been/and currently am the owner of various AC tractors...from lawn tractors up to fullsize farm tractors. Have an issue w/an AC919 that I can't seem to get a handle on. It's equipped w/the Kohler KT-19 series 1 twin-with a hydro trans/rear. It's in "relatively" good shape...Did some fixes after acquiring it a few years back.(NEW ISSUE) Start it, run it, then engage the mower . At some point after this...5sec to 10min...the engine will shut off. Checks,parts swaps,meter checks have included: ignition system-okay, safety switch that engages mower lever-okay, fuel system-okay. Am open to some ideas as to what to do next. By the way, as AC lawn and garden tractors go...was this tractor(early 80's?) a low production unit. It's the only one i've ever run across. Thanks for any input.

I would bypass all the safties( seat- pto- shift ) and run it . if it still shuts off. Run a wire directly from battery to coil. And did you check vent in gas cap? And there is a filter inside of tank. Are you using a lawn mower filter on gas line ? Just some ideas

Uh,Ronald,not trying to hijack this thread, but what is wrong with a lawn mower filter on the gas line?I assume you are talking about the internal petcock filter.

quote:
Originally posted by pungo
Uh,Ronald,not trying to hijack this thread, but what is wrong with a lawn mower filter on the gas line?I assume you are talking about the internal petcock filter.
A lawn mower filter is correct. The problem is with some others. Some of the paper filters don't gravity feed the fuel very well.

Thanks for the replies. I've disconnected the fuel line at the carb....cranked the motor........good fuel flow. I'm suspicious of that safety sw for the pto. BUT, that sw only comes into play on the ignition sw "start circuit"(to prevent blade movement while starting the tractor..right? With the engine off/Using a vom...I touch the red+ lead to the + post on the coil....black probe to ground...turn the key to "on"...see a ~12v signal.

Check out the connections on the circuit breaker under the fuel tank. If the breaker gets old or the connections fail then you loose 12v+ and the mower could shut down. Otherwise replace the switch.

Once again, thanks for the help. Okay, 427435..Yes, it will restart after stopping. D-17 Dave, I take it you're thinking that breaker could be tripping(when it shouldn't) due to age? I should have added to that double post that putting a meter on the + side of the coil w/key to "on" position(first position to the right)and the pto lever disengaged results in a +12v signal...as it should. Engaging the pto then turning the key to on or start positions reults in no voltage signal...as it shouldn't...to prevent startup w/mower engaged.ractor About my other question...is tis a fairly obscure t

Geez, I've got to stop posting after coming home from a night shift. That last sentnce was a bit screwed up.lol! I meant to say that compared to the 917's Ive seen...it's the only 919 I've run across.

Well, with the meter check you have identified this as a wiring issue. So, check for any linkage rubbing the wiring harness that may be a short. If it's not that then it sounds like someone rewired the run circuit through the start wire and it opens the circuit when you engage the clutch. A manual with the wiring diagram and some tracing should fix the problem.

D-17 Dave....well..the wiring and connectors "look" okay. No, I haven't(yet) done point to point continuity checks. Don't like to shotgun these things...but my son is picking up a circuit breaker and an interlock sw(for the pto) this afternoon. Will try them one at a time this weekend. Please check back Sat/Sun on this thread...esp.if those don't fix the issue(my usual luck). And from my experience..the wiring looked pretty much OEM w/no "field modifications". Thanks.. Dave and Mark...for your input so far...Bob

D-17 Dave, after more checking the culprit turned out to be the cicuit breaker(randomly tripping). The 919 is a backup to my 620, which I'm also doing some work on. At some point, I really need to rebuild/replace that Kohler series 1-19hp twin. I'll be honest. With enough other projects on the list, I'd really love to just find a rebuilt series 1 or 2 K-19 and drop it in the 919. Anyone have any leads on one? And by the way, thanks, Dave(and Mark) for the advice.