Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
hotwire

7013 carb issue

hotwire
Hey folks! I've got starting issues with my 1975 jc penney version of the Simplicity 7013. It hasnt run in ten years, but i've been trying to get it up and going and have had it started and running briefly(although not very smooth and the carb was leaking) i decided to get the rebuild kit for the carb. I have messed with Rochester 4 barrel carbs a bit so i figured that this wouldnt be too bad. I replaced all seals / gaskets and hardware that came with the kit (except the welch plug cause it was epoxied in, and leaking) and set the high idle and needle valves to specs, but i've only been able to start it once since the rebuild. If i take a teaspoon of gas and put it directly into the cylinder it will fire and run until the gas i put in the cylinder is gone. So, there is a problem with the delivery. If I take the aircleaner off and look down into the carb, there is standing gas (is there supposed to be?). Obviously its getting to the carb, but not into the cylinder. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to try or look at? I'd love to try and get some stripes before fall! sm03 also, the carb is still leaking.. but cant really tell from where.... also, i have tried richer and leaner settings on both the needle and idle valves with no improvement. currently set at 1 1/2 turns out for the needle and 1/2 - 3/4 turns out for the idle.... have also read through the FAQ's and gone through the list..... spark plug is dry.

D-17_Dave
Sounds like your butterfly is stuck closed. IF you have liquid in the carb. it should fire if the throttle is open. If it doesn't fire on what is already in the carb. then what you have in the carb. is water or gas so old it won't vaporize. On the other side of things, do a search on carb. rebuilds. These carbs have some internal vents that must be correct or the carb. will leak gas even if the float is set right and the needle and seat is working.

hotwire
thanks for the reply D.... I got it fired last night and actually mowed with it some. I dont know what i did, but i took the carb back apart, cleaned everything and blew out the vents with compressed air and put it together with double gaskets on the bowl....... fired right up no troubles with no leaks . Thanks again!