Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cone Clutch

78kitty

Quick question, my 3415H ate a deck belt up a couple weeks ago. I guess the belt was worn and then it just kept wearing more & more, quicker & quicker, to the point where it was so thin that it was effectively too long. I was mowing in heavy grass and the blades would occassionally stop. Prior to this I thought I'd heard some noise coming from the cone clutch. Long story short, after checking the blades & pulley on deck to be sure they all spun freely, I put the new belt on, but the cone clutch is still making noise. When I engage the lever, it kind of has a smell like when you grind metal. Any ideas on what may've gone wrong?

There could be a few different things wrong. The bearings might be going out that are in the double pulley. Second, the banding inside the cone is gone. Third, the retaining ring on the shaft that goes into the BGB might have come out on its grove on the shaft, and the letting the double pulley go into the cone to far. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114S

I have had two bearings go out in the cone clutches. There is a very thin metal sleeve inside the bearing to make it fit the shaft. When the bearing starts to go bad and begins dragging, it will spin on the shaft and cause the sleeve to get hot and come apart. The pieces of the sleeve can drag on several areas in the assembly and can make a squealing noise. The longer you let it go, the more likely it is to damage the shaft coming out of the BGB. On one of the units it actually broke the engagement spring in the assembly.

Thanks for the reply's. I'm going to try & tear into this soon. Are the bearings readily available & easy to replace? Update- I just looked at the Operator / Parts manual and it just lists the pulley, no bearings seperately. Can the bearings even be replaced or do I have to buy a whole pulley assembly to get them?

Thanks Ray! Is that for just the bearing & bushing or does it come as part of the double-pulley? Who is the "our Price" through? Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are you affiliated with a dealership?

That price is at Jacks Small Engine. The bushing Rod is talking about is in the bearing. The price is for bearing. http://www.jackssmallengines.com/index.html