Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LesH

Traction-- Chains VS Bar (Ag) Tires..........

dirtsaver
For ground work(garden plowing and dozer blade)I prefer good Ag tires like the Tru-Power. For snow work Tru-powers work great too but if you have ice too the chains are the only thing that will get you through. I also use good Ag tires(not the cheaper Carlisle bar tires)for mowing cause my yard is roling and the Ags don't spin and tear up the grass like turf tires do. Larry

ac.d17iv
I just ordered a pair of Carlisle All Trail ATV tires. I've read good things about them in the snow on this site and others: http://auto.sears.com/CARLISLE-ALL-TRAIL-TIRES/Product.htm?catalogId=10624&N=600025822%204199999512&productId=2014175

acfarmer
I use my garden tractors for a variety of chores around the farm and chains will usually outpull everything in most situations except in loose dirt in the garden.Plus chains have as much grip going backwards as they do going forwards. Chains don't run on dry hard surfaces real well and they can be aggravating to deal with and don't look as snazzie as big set of tractor treads either8DI have ATV tires on a couple tractors and they are real good pullers and regualr tractor treads on several and they do fine also.Adding weight will make them all pull alot better and make them ride better also.

crewchief12
Chains and weights are unstopable year around in all situations. Never get stuck, even when moving my Lund (1400lbs.) in reverse accross gravel and grass. I have added additonal weights on top of the 50 lbs bolens weights, it made a huge improvement even on ice.