Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hi-lo for 717 broadmoor

dentwizz

I just got my 717 running today and found out the Hi-lo doesnt want to stay in gear. I can make it do some low if I push hard on the lever but it only goes into hi if I push while coasting. I took it apart some to look at it and the teeth looked alright and it all spun freely so I don't know what it could be unless the shaft is that worn? Are they rebuildable?

Hi I'm not sure if this will help or not, but on my 707 I was having similar problems getting it to stay in lo. I figured out that I was engaging lo in the "wrong" position. If I pulled the lever up as I was sliding into lo, it engaged fully and never crunched or tried to pop out. I was originally going nearly directly across from the hi position, which engaged lo, but was not completely doing so. Rick

If yours is like mine on my 616, there is a spring clip inside that drops into a groove in the shaft to keep it in gear. You might not be getting it all the way over, maybe a linkage issue? I posted pics on here a while back of mine taken apart and what I had to do to fix mine, which worked in lo but not hi. If yours looks like mine and you need some more info, let me know. Steve

Here's a few links to Steve's Hi-Lo repair posts - I used the search feature by narrowing results for exact phrase, "Hi-Lo" , by subject line only, by author "steve-wis" and by date, March 2007 to present. Hope this helps. Repair pics: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=105066&SearchTerms=Hi%2Blo[/url] Drive dog pics: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=105163&SearchTerms=Hi%2Blo[/url] Hi-LO problem SOLVED: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=104869&SearchTerms=Hi%2Blo[/url]

I tried the spacer trick and it helped low end, plus I flipped the dog over(it was worn). The high however seems to have gotten ground too much and wont engage. I looked in a bit further and the teeth look a bit rounded on the initial face. The main portion is still intact, so I was wondering, can you flip the gear over? I called the store and it was of course the three letters we so love NLA. GRR.

It has been a while since I had one apart. If the gear looks like it can be turned over (ie both ends look the same) then I would give it a try! Tom

The gear can't be flipped, as far as I know. I shimmed the unit to keep the teeth on the good part of the gear. The problem with mine was the housing was sliding over to far in hi, until it was almost off of the teeth, and it would grind and slip. The shim went in right over the shaft before it was pushed into the half with the pulley. I think about 1/8 thick worked for me. I made my shim out of bronze because I thought it might slip against the faces some and didn't want it to gall up. Also, if you put too much shim in, it will engage in hi while the dog is still between the nuts on the housing, causing it to basically lock up. It is a trial and error thing but can all be tested on the bench. I also had to make the dog with a step to reach in more because of the shim. With the shim in, the housing doesn't slide as far out. There are pics of the dog in the earlier posts also. Hope this helps some, if I am not being clear enough let me know, maybe a phone call would be better. Steve

I reread my last post and should add this. The groove in the gear is the position that the mating teeth on the sheet metal housing should be in when the unit is in lo. The sheet metal teeth slide toward the pulley and onto the teeth on the inner part of the gear when you shift to hi, and at the same time the dog disengages from the nuts on the housing to let it spin. The outer part of the gear is for the planetary gears to run on. When the housing is dogged, the planetary gears spin to drive the pulley, resulting in a slower speed. I think someone on here told me it reduces to 1/3 of hi speed, or else it reduces BY 1/3, can't remember which. Anyway, because of the two different widths of the gear teeth, the position of the groove, and how it all works, even if you could reverse the gear I don't think it would work. Lots of words to say that.........sorry, but easier to show than to tell, I guess. Steve