Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pointless ign module. Smoke n mirrors or Hoodoo?

thudpucker

I'm about to put the Cast Iron B&S back into my B-10. I bought an Ign coil from my local Lawnmower guy. No points, just the spark plug wire and the kill switch wire. As I recall, the Primary field stores the Flux lines when the Big flywheel magnet passes the Primary. Ordinarily there's points to close, and cause the primary field to run to ground. Then the Secondary collapses and fires the plug. This is the part about replacing the points. When the big flywheel magnet passes the smaller coil, which is polarized the opposite direction, and that field collapses, it essentially blocks the flow of the primary collapse, which causes the Primary to collapse the secondary which flows out the plug wire; and the Cat screeched like he'd been shocked!:p Do I have this correct? Does anybody have a schematic that I could study?

Thanks xenon, much obliged. I have some classes in AC and DC Physics. I noticed right off the bat that every instructor has a different vocabulary when explaining things like Transformers and magnetism. I saw that again while reading this guy. I think I understood the process when I started reading. I imagined there was a Capacitor in there, but nope! Its a darlington pair. I had an idea of 'robbing' some voltage from the whirling magnet of the little (B&S 5 Hp or a small outboard) pull start engine to make a trickle charger. I needed a lot of technical info to figure out if it could be done. Like how much of a field was on the outside of the flywheel. How many turns of what size wire? Could I use some Ferrite as a core? Figuring out whether I had enough Gauss to make anything work is largely trial and error. Too expensive with copper wire prices so high now. Thanks for your link. It has all the answers.sm01