Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CDeHeer

Gov plate help

CDeHeer
I had posted about my Broadmoor 717 before. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=97357&SearchTerms=CDeHeer It was determined the Gov plate had been changed out with a newer choke a matic style plate. Problem is it was installed all wrong. The choke is not activated with full throttle. I start it by pulling the linkage by hand. The governer is completely ineffective I have to constantly work the throttle to avoid over reving. Could anyone offer a schematic or pics of proper linkage installation? A couple more pics:

Any help much appreciated.

RayS
Do you have this manual? This has alot of information for these old motors. http://cgi.ebay.com/Briggs-Stratton-Antique-Repair-Service-Manual-1919-81_W0QQitemZ200375641399QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea751a537&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

CDeHeer
I do not have this manual but thanks for the link. I now have one on the way. Unfortuniatly it won't be here by the weekend and I have some free time I was hoping to use to get things corrected. Anyone willing to scan a page for a preview?

Chris727
I have been through several manuals and have had little luck getting these vertical shaft engines set right, I also have a couple of broadmoors with overspeeding problems. Make sure the linkage doesn't bind. There is a tab you can bend to increase or decrease the tension on the governor spring, unfortunately I don't remember exactly how its done.

CDeHeer
728 are you saying the throttle linkage goes in the governer arm? As it was set the linkge was in the hole on the Gov. plate pivot and the choke linkage was to the short arm on the plate. Thanks for the input.