Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
hotwire

slipping deck belt

hotwire
1975 JC Penney version of the 7013. I got the tractor running pretty good and had done a test strip the other day and it mowed really well (but had the deck high). I went to mow for the first time last night (after greasing the arbors and sharpening the blades). If i try to put the deck down too much (where i think it should be to mow) the blades dont turn very fast and you can tell it's slipping....... i have to keep the deck a little high in order for it to mow (rollers not touching). Is this normal or is something slipping in my belt drive somewhere?... or...... is there simply an adjustment for the tention on the belt? i honestly havent had a chance to look at that yet....... grease did come up onto the top of the deck where the belt is.... is it possible that it's as simple as grease got onto the belt? if so, how should i handle that? sorry for the stupid questions, just havent used this mower before. thanks guys

Chris727
Hi, there shouldn't be any slippage. As far as I know there is no tension adjustment, a spring puts constant tension on the belt. Grease can be a problem, you can use carb cleaner on a rag to wipe the grease off the belt. It may be the belt between the arbors rather than the drive belt off the PTO, the idler pulley that puts tension on the belt is supposed to swing on a bracket but often the assemly freezes up from rust.

hotwire
cleaned the deck belt, went to tighten the pulley that has the lift eye bolt...... broke the eye bolt..... 12 bucks later i tightened the pulley. Went to mow and still very little tension on the blades....... read through the manual and tightened the PTO clutch. works like a charm. mowed the whole yard for the first time with the 7013.... NICE machine! Thanks for the help guys.