Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

transmission oil seal HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave-Saratoga

hey all. i recently broke the axle tube on my b-210 with a vsp. of course, the break had to happen in the worst possible place, which was right at the point where the tube comes out of the tranny on the differential side. what resulted was that the needle bearings for the tube were damaged (they can be replaced) but more critically was that the seat for the oil seal was damaged as well
[img]/club2/attach/Dave-Saratoga/DSCN1947a.jpg[/img]
, such that I can push the seal to the bottom of the seat with no resistance. Once at the bottom, there is a lot of slop between the seal and the seat. Look at the gap between the seal and the seat - tranny fluid will leak from here constantly under these conditions.
[img]/club2/attach/Dave-Saratoga/DSCN1958a.jpg[/img]
of course, the part (tranny conver #16225) is nla but does anyone have any suggestions here? Is there a way I can "glue" the oil seal in place & provide an adequate seal? everything else is fine, the bearing seat is undamaged and all the other gears and bearings are fine. would appreciate any input here. The new axle tube was expensive enough, didn't figure I'd have any trouble with the tranny case. thanks again Dave

I would use Willy's advice and try the JB Weld, what have you got to loose. By the way Dave I am a short drive from you, I live in Utica and I am frequently out you way testing Cell cite towers.

I would use 3m 5200 polyurethane Marine Adhesive.Once cured tough stuff,holds forever, but it is flexible.It can also be removed later with a heatgun.Slow to cure,though.

speedy sleeve it like the harmonic balancers from GM they are glued in with lock-tight and make the shaft seal able again...I don't see why it wouldn't work in the reverse.

If the seal is loose in the hole I would take a center punch and dimple around the bore where the seal makes contact not real deep then put oil resistant silicone round the seal. When installed the dimples will keep it tight and the silicone will seal it up

One alternative that is better but costs more is to take the cover to a machine shop and have just the seal part of the bore sleeved. They will bore it bigger, then make a steel sleeve and press it in. That would be a permanent fix. Otherwise the fixes mentioned above should work, but if the seal is removed it will have to be done again. Steve

I am with Steve if it don't work its allot of trouble taking the trans apart again.Take it to a machine shop at least let them tell you what they can do. All your other fixes might work but that's just chance you take. nick

i like the suggestion of having it bored out and a sleeve put in. it would be a more permanent fix and also reduce the chance for the "welds" to break and have fluid leaking all over the place. thanks again everyone. off to the shop i must go