Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery replacement

ac.d17iv

Its a 51 something. There is something in common questions or something like that. I went thru a tractor batery in a year or less for 4 years. I switched it out like 6 years ago and it is still running strong. Plus its a car quality so I I have a lot of light on in winter snow throwing its not a big deal. It always starts even when its below 0...

I measured the compartment and found the largest one that would fit(390cca). It was 80 bucks at Tractor supply but you can never go too big.8D It's only a matter of what you can afford and fit. Dont go below 360cca.

The best batteries I have found are the cheap walmart ones. I started a tractor in the shed the other day that has sat for about a year and it still started with the wal-mart battery. Nice thing is there only about 25=-30 bucks

I just put a new battery in my Landlord, a local brand, I think, from Ranger batteries, with 450 CCA, cost me about $50 bucks, and even has a warranty for a year. I have used Ranger batteries in my cars and trucks for many years with no problems. Can't say that about the few Walmarts that I have had to purchase

Batteries are very heavy to ship and likely Wal Mart has different sources in different areas to make them with their "brand" name. It's possible you won't get identical batteries right across North America with the same nominal ratings. If you buy batteries with the heaviest plates, use a desulphator and keep them charged, they will last a very long time. I was told to expect about 3 to 5 years life from golf cart batteries I am using in a solar set-up - they have lasted 7 so far and still seem to be holding a charge well and have good specific gravity readings.

The interstate battery website shows a 26R as a match. Looks like it won't fit. Anyone have experience? http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Search.aspx/Lawn-Garden/Allis-Chalmers-Deutz/700-exc-720-series-800-series-900-series-Lawn-Garden-Equipment?dsNavigation=N~34-4282691389-4282691175

I just recently boght a battery for my 7112/6 and also found that reference to a 26R. It is quite a bit wider, so I really doubt it would fit. In the end I bought a 51R from Walmart, as it was 15 dollars cheaper than Advance or Autozone. (65 vs 80) The 51R is really better than the 22NF, as it has about 100-125 more CCA. On the other hand, my 712S has a lawn and garden battery and it works fine. The thing to remember in garden batteries is they come in at least 3 types, with CCA from as low as about 100, up to one with over 300. They are all the same size, so you have to read the case to pick the good one. (Usually the price tag will also go in step with that, too)

Thanks Ray and GWG for all the great info. The current battery (I didn't buy) is a John Deere Strongbox 22NF with 500CCA. I can't bring myself to putting a JD battery in my AC. I did see the Walmart 51R batteries and strongly considered them, but their CCA is less then 500. How important is it to have a 500CCA? The Diehard 51R at Sears for $90 is a 495CCA.

IMO, 51R has plenty of cranking power for any Simplicity tractor. I've used 51R's from Walmart and Sam's Club without any issues - including starting tractor cold at 15 deg F in winter. Only issue I have between the 51R and 22NF is the lack of a hold down cleat on the 51R. For the FDT tractors, it doesn't' matter since there's an over-top hold down. On RBT's, the hold down system requires cleats on the end of the battery. For my Homelite, with the battery mounted perpendicular to the frame direction it's an issue; with the Simplicity and A/C tractors (battery is mounted parallel to frame) it's not a big issue.

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
... Only issue I have between the 51R and 22NF is the lack of a hold down cleat on the 51R. For the FDT tractors, it doesn't' matter since there's an over-top hold down. On RBT's, the hold down system requires cleats on the end of the battery. For my Homelite, with the battery mounted perpendicular to the frame direction it's an issue; with the Simplicity and A/C tractors (battery is mounted parallel to frame) it's not a big issue.
Remember folks with no holddown, and you roll your tractor over, there is likely to be a spark show under the hood ... right next to the gas leaking out of the cap vent :) Just be aware of it and be ready to run if you roll it. I have a 51R Wal Mart in one of mine and it starts nicely.

quote:
Originally posted by 2burning
quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
... Only issue I have between the 51R and 22NF is the lack of a hold down cleat on the 51R. For the FDT tractors, it doesn't' matter since there's an over-top hold down. On RBT's, the hold down system requires cleats on the end of the battery. For my Homelite, with the battery mounted perpendicular to the frame direction it's an issue; with the Simplicity and A/C tractors (battery is mounted parallel to frame) it's not a big issue.
Remember folks with no holddown, and you roll your tractor over, there is likely to be a spark show under the hood ... right next to the gas leaking out of the cap vent :) Just be aware of it and be ready to run if you roll it. I have a 51R Wal Mart in one of mine and it starts nicely.
Thats a good thing to make a note of. Of the 17 fdt's I've used or have had for parts, every one of them was missing the battery hold downs.

Battery hold downs... haven't seen one yet either. I share the concern for the connections too. I always wrap black electrical tape around the exposed terminals since I never really liked the side by side gas tank/battery setup.

An update to my battery search. I debated over the 51R with no hold down cleat, but cheaper and higher CCA vs the 22NF (original), which does have the hold down cleat, but is tougher to find. I decided to stay original and purchased a 22NF from Interstate Batteries for $68 with 390CCA's.