Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PeppyDan

Deutz Allis 1918 (updated with attachment)

PeppyDan
I have made a few purchases lately and this is my current project. I got it with a blown 18hp Magnum engine, power steering and a 48 inch mowing deck.

As you can see the hood is beat pretty hard!

Notice the rub rail that a P.O. welded to the deck, not a bad job of it either!

The engine in pieces as i got it, the cam destructed taking out a rod and bottom of a cylinder jug. The crank appears to be unharmed!

I tore the hood apart to straighten the side panels and grill enough to make it look decent from 50 feet away. I plan to use this tractor with an attachment that I found at the Portland swap meet, more on what the attachment is after I get the tractor running with the 20hp Magnum that was rebuilt and just setting in my workshop with no where to go. It was out of a Sunstar so it will feel right at home in the Deutz! Dan

D-17_Dave
Nice save. Looks like it came with the optional "cram the front end in every tree" attachment. Too bad some people can't seem to figure out how to steer a tractor.

PeppyDan
quote:
Originally posted by joshuaareed
I am sure you will make her look nice as you always do Dan. How many are you up now Dan?
I plan to get it usable for now and once I have proven the machine out, then I will tear it back down to repair anything not up to my expectations. This makes three Sunstars plus the remains of the burnt one. I plan to swap the high/low, independent wheel brakes, and second lift lever from the burnt one after I rebuild them. I will use the hydro from the D.A. since the heat was probably not good to the close tolerance parts in these units. Dan

comet66
I'll never understand what is so difficult about using the brake on these machines!!sm00 Weather it is single or duel braking, it is a quite large surface to put one's foot on. So can't just miss the pedal. Add this I guess, to the ever growing list of things "I just do not understand."?

PeppyDan
quote:
Originally posted by CarlH
Dan, What's this??
quote:
... make it look decent from 50 feet away
I think it ought to look as nice as your Homelitesm04
It will eventually be redone but for now I just want to get it usable. Here are a few pics of what I got done last night on it. A little more cleaning and then I will start putting it back together (without painting).

It seems as though the rubber isolators on these older Sunstars are always in this condition when I pull the engines.

Rather then buy the correct isolators at a cost of $11.46 each(4 required) I am going to try this approach.

These are not needed so I will add them to my drawer of other rubber items.

This is what I will be using. The steel tube or bushing that was in the originals when cleaned will just press into these but don't do that yet!

I used my band saw and carefully sliced the pieces in half. This will then be used with the original washers, bolts and nuts to complete the 4 new isolators for a total cost of $10.68!

Dan

PeppyDan
quote:
Originally posted by joshuaareed
I have heard of people freezing rubber before they have to drill it, is it the same when you have to cut it with a band saw?
This is a fairly stiff rubber that I used for the isolators and I had very little trouble cutting them but I have never heard of the freezing trick so it may have made it go easier. Dan

PeppyDan
I ran into several little problems with this tractor and got side tracked some but it is finally finished for now. I plan to get it back into the workshop this winter and add the dual hydraulics and fix a couple of minor things but for now i was able to try out my purchase from Portland.

As you can tell it is a 48" power broom by Sweepster. It has the hydraulic angle option but I removed it until I get the dual hydraulics on the tractor so I just use the pin for now. The person I got it from said it was only used about 4 times by the original owner and this guy was just selling it for the owner. This makes two working sweepsters for me but I plan to sell the one that is on my Jcpenney tractor now that I have this new one working. Thanks for looking! Dan

Sign in to follow this