Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity rear tiller drive parts

I recently bought an old, original-style 32" rear rototiller (mfg #990174) attachment for my 725 tractor. Unfortunately the drive is missing a couple of the small parts. I would have no problem fabricating them since they are rather simple. However, I need dimensions to ensure they function properly. Do any of the folks on this site who live in the greater Milwaukee, WI area have a complete drive set-up that I could come over to measure? (I live in Franklin, WI) The drive would not need to be removed from the tractor, since I can get all the measurements I need with it in place. I would also entertain buying a complete drive, but from what I've seen they command a rather high price - probably more than I paid for the whole rototiller! The most cost-effective way to get this up and running would be to make the parts I need. Thanks for any help!

I know nothing but maybe this will help you get started if you don't already have it. larry http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8aqI1rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq

There's somebody on Ebay from WI that has some AC stuff regularly. I have a rear tiller for my B-10 or B-110. I might have some ugly bad photos of that old tiller. Do you need the parts on the Tiller or the parts from the Tractor?

I'm missing four parts from the tiller drive that mount on the tractor. If you look at the Simplicity manual for the 990174 tiller (Simplicity tech pub #1233), I'm missing AJ, AQ, AV, & AW (shown on page 6). These are the rod guide, rod, belt release, and the belt release bracket. I've been looking at all the flea markets at the engine/tractor shows in SE Wisconsin this summer but haven't had any luck.

I'm missing all that as well. I was outbid for a whole set. I felt bad but I just couldnt afford to pay that much. I though of making it too. Or mounting a B&S 5 Hp up on the Tiller. If you do that, be sure to use a Pulsajet Carb. The Float style carbs will bounce so much the gas turns to froth in the float bowl and the engine quits.

John, both of us could use some photos. Old Prospector and I might be in a bidding war over this stuff. Shipping is small potatoes to finding! If you can use a Ruler in the photo to give us a chance at finding the pulleys and bearings that would help out a lot. The industry has lots of pullys. The one with the two pullys joined, and a Bearing under the both of them would be valuable information. Width, Axle size, etc. Also some reference detail with the link's, springs and any spacers or bearings. Then we can make something up that might work and maybe find some belts to match. I think we can find springs and Bearings at a Fastener store.

Are the two of you buddy's? Sounds like you're talking for you & Old-Prospector? There's a link above that AC B-1Novice provided of the whole 175 manual. Are you interested in the same parts as Old-Prospector, or the whole deal?

Looks like I need to catch up here a bit! 1. Thudpucker and I don't know each other. 2. No bidding war here - I fully intend to make the parts I'm missing. 3. Fortunately, I have the double pulleys, bearings and brackets - all the "difficult" parts. 4. Dick - enter 990174 as the mfg. no. into the Simplicity manual search. The result will be their Tech. Pub. 1233. 5. John - photos and dimensions of the 4 parts I'm missing would be a great help. I've sketched the parts I need and added blank dimensions that need to be filled in. If you would be willing to measure your parts, PM me and I will email my sketch to you. This should make the measurements quicker and easier. Thanks to all.

I envy old Prospector. He can make things, where I have to buy them. $100-$150 is out of the question. This stuff is old tech. Newer is better. This is just a passion for me. Eventually I'll be tilling my garden on a good looking handsome old tractor. I just caught another detail. My Tractors a B-10 and B110, Old Prospectors is a 725. I wonder if any of the parts are going to be similar?

Jeez, I finally found that Allis-chalmers page, then Parts n' Manuals, and when I got there my AVG told me it has two virus inside. "www.simpletractors.com/jbsx/sample.asp";"Exploit Script injection-364";"" "www.simpletractors.com/jbsx/sample.asp";"Exploit Script injection-364";"" Now what?

If these are the parts you need. I bought everything exept the rod from Simplicity. My machine shop buddy made the rod. And somewhere I have an extra rod. Its 1/4" and 11" long. You can see the bend and the hole drilled in it. My regular computer burnt up so I have to use the wifes laptop. I cannot get any manuals or diograms to come up. Hope this helps. BOB

Bob, Thanks for the photos. The rod and rod guide are 2 of the 4 parts I need. How long ago did you get the guide from Simplicity? I ran the 4 part numbers I need on Jack's Small Engine's Simplicity part number database, and all 4 showed as "NLA" (No Longer Available). In the past I've found that Jack's database is very accurate and current, at least as far as Simplicity parts go (which is all that I am interested in). At any rate, even if the 4 parts were available, together they would probably run $100 - that's more than I paid for the whole tiller attachment! Since I'm retired, I have a lot more time than money, so I don't mind making what I need. John-RI has offered to measure his parts for me this weekend. With those dimensions, I should be in business. Thanks again!

I think it was 2 or 3 years ago. From the Simplicity dealer in Payne,Ohio. I think I bought everything exept the rod for around $50.00. I would try another dealer if you wish. Hope in some way I helped you out. Members have helped me many times. Thanks, BOB