Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC_B-1Novice

Anyone else have a rattling brake pedal

AC_B-1Novice
The brake pedal on my 6216 rattles like crazy when I use the tractor. I have to keep my foot wedged under it to keep it quiet. Is this normal or what do I do to fix it?

dentwizz
A lot of them do. My dad's 2210 rattles pretty loud without foot pressure, but my 64LL has a spring that tensions the rod at the transmission(not the main retracting spring) that takes the rattle out. It is detailed in the manual in most cases that I have seen. Sometimes it is as simple as adding a rubber washer/grommet somewhere.

AC_B-1Novice
Yeah, I guess that is what I will do. I just wondered if I left something off when I had the pedal off to do a deck repair. Rubber is easy. thanks

SmilinSam
Most brake or clutch pedals have a return spring hooked to them somewhere in the configuration to take up the slop when not in use. The 7100 and /or 7000 series have a spring attached to a hole on the inner brake bracket that hooks to the frame to pull it back so it wont rattle. If the tractor does not have it or never diod, its an easy add on. Just remember to keep the spring out of the way of other working parts, and dont use a spring that is so tight as to interfere with the use of the pedal in normal operation.

sunrunner
Hey - Is the pedal itself rattling or is the rod rattling?

You may need part #4 (damper) - I have bought new ones in the last year - It's a little(solid) rubber piece that fits in the groove on the pedal...Chris

AC_B-1Novice
It is just the pedal. The part you put your foot on and tilt to lock the brake in place. Part #3. I'll check the local for part #4. Thanks

JeffNemes
Yes ususally part reference 4 (dampner) wears and falls out, causing rattling. They can be a little tough to install. I put a little grease on it , start it 3/4 of the way in the pedal grove, then slide both on to the shaft. It should pull itself in the rest of the way as you slide it across the shaft.