Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
pungo

Restoration Assessment (Pics)

pungo
Beginning a restoration on a 575 Wonder Boy.

The dirt daubers have been busy!This one will need most parts bead blasted,the surface rust has set in.

The "Fast Hitch" decal will have to be reproduced,as well as several other small "Patd Pending" decals.I am glad it is an original barn find and hasn't been monkeyed with(too much).

The Transmission is an area I'm a little concerned with,this leakage could just be a gasket,but I found another Trans with the Boy.I am going to do a quick job on the motor and get her running to see if it works before I go full monty on a restoration.I would hate to try and find transmission parts for this thing.

I'm wondering if this "Leather like" material on the front axle where you put your feet is original.

Anyone who has rebuilt one of these things know if a front motor shim is OEM?

steve-wis
It has the shim in the front to keep the engine level because the hood mount for the engine hood goes under the back of the engine, so yes, you need one unless you don't have the hood mount on it. In your pics the mount is there, behind the engine. I would clean up the trans and run it for a bit before worrying about the oil. The case does not have oil in it, you just grease it with the grease fittings on the cover and on the differential. Mine has no leather on the axle where your feet go, didn't have it when I bought it, and there is no part for it in the book. I also didn't have the fast hitch decal and still do not, not sure if they all had that or not. I have a pdf of the manual for the 450 - 575 wonderboys if you need it. Let me know, I can send it to you. Good luck!! If you decide to not restore it, I would be interested in the seat cover. Steve

pungo
I removed the engine,took it down to the points box. The ignition looked pristine, cleaned the points with a business card.The old coil had melted tar down into everything, cleaned it up and soldered in a new lead after trimming the excess tar with scissors. Dirt daubers had filled every crevice in the fuel system, did a "RedneckRebuild of the carb, fuel tank and bowl. Put everything back together and pulled the rope, she started on the 3rd pull! Only I had forgot to put oil in it or hook up a kill switch!Yanked the plug wire. Filled it with oil and tried again. I am a happy Camper, this thing runs sweet. Sounds strong, I can't wait to get home tomorrow and hook everything back up and take her for a spin. These things are glorified Go-Karts.

pungo
By the way Steve,your "Farmer Restoration" is my ideal with this one,great job!I know it is not original but there are dozens of pan style seat covers out there,not a whole lot of difference to my eye. I appreciate the tips on the trans!

pungo
This will be my last Post on this thing for awhile. Hooked everything up and she wouldn't go forward.Adjusted the linkage and whoa! Took off in reverse,after grinding a few gears she popped a wheelie and went around the yard a few times. I've driven many things, this thing is a trip. Could be very dangerous in the wrong hands. Gonna fine tune and lube everything and hook the mower up, why not? I'm thinking about leaving it gnarly and use it to drive around shows, keep it original, that seems to be the new craze. The motor is sweet, without a good motor these things are just Props. Thanks everyone for the help!:D