Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2.5hp 727 ?

ToddM

I have been trying to sell a parts tractor Broadmoor 727 and a small Honda G100 2.5hp engine for quite awhile. No luck at all selling either unit. I was bored today so I started to work on installing the Honda engine into the 727. This engine has a horizontal shaft and I will have to put a jack shaft underneath it to keep the drive belt in alignment. Even though it has a horizontal shaft I can still mount it where the stock vertical shaft would go. I am going to install a short belt from the engine crank to the jack shaft with only cutting a relatively small hole in the frame. I am going to leave enough space at each end of the jack shaft to easily replace either belt if I have to. As soon as I take pictures I will post them. I will not be able to ever mow with this tractor again, but I don't have a mower deck for it anyways, the way I figure it the tractor was in real bad shape anyway, so I can only help it now. Plus it will keep me occupied until I find another tractor to bring back to life. I don't really want to spend the money to have it original again, I am just using what I have laying around. Thanks Todd

• 3 weeks later...
I needed to split the 727 to get it into my basement for the winter, this was my son's idea. A little constant pressure in the correct direction works wonders! Boy that was one stubborn center pin, it came out shiny as ever. Not a bit of rust and it actually pivoted fine.

Hey Todd, This

Was sitting behind Larry Bartlett's house across the street from you. The center pivot is stuck. If we tried to separate it, your deuce would have worked a little harder:D Oh yeah. You can have the engine if you want it. I was going to donate it to the local High School here in Mukwonago, but the teacher never replied to my email. The carb needs to be rebuilt, the oil fill plug is missing, and the pull rope needs to be fixed.

Overkill at it's finest...I love it!! If you look at the fourth image down (great pic!) it looks like the little booger is really putting up a fight!

No problem Todd. Our timing was a little off, I took a bunch of stuff to the scrapyard a few weeks ago, you could've had the bodywork and the bare mower deck too. Don't forget about that Broadmoor sitting in the guys backyard down the street from you, It's worth taking a walk to see what he has.

• 3 months later...
That tractor is still sitting down the street from me, once the snow clears I'll ask him what he wants for it. Thanks for the tip, I drive by it everyday and didn't even notice it.

Todd Your posting of the pivot pin extraction made me have a go of it on my 728. However this one was quite rusty and had to be twisted back and forth while red hot with the torch to get it to come out. The tranny mount was undamaged and after a clean up went into my 727 with the 12.5hp upgrade.sm06 Note the tension brought it up clean off the floor...kind of like an old medieval "rack"