Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DaveA

Simplicity 725 w/8 HP?

DaveA
A guy down the street from me has a Simplicity 725 For Sale with a 8 HP Briggs & Stratton it it. He insists it's a factory engine. I thought the 725's only had 7.25HP. Did this model ever come with an 8HP? If the engine or tractor serial number is needed to answer this question, I can go back and get this data. Thanks- dave A

D-17_Dave
He might be calling the engine an 8HP by mistake and it's still the orriginal engine. However, the orriginal is only 7.25HP model 19 engine. The later model 8HP engines were common replacements for the orriginal engines due to the physical size of the older versions of the model 19 engine chassis size. http://simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1963/specifications.htm

firefoxz1
I have a 725 with a dealer installed replacement engine which is 8HP, which might be what he means. I believe the engines where gold colored and not the original color. Mine is covered tightly and CRS has struck. My main picture is me on that tractor.

John_RI
I had a 725 with a replacement 8hp. It was a nice cast iron engine, 20 cu in (200401 or something like that). I believe it was gold in color as firefoxz1 indicated, but I also suffer from acute CRS. It was a fine engine that's physical size was comparable with the model 19 so it fit very nicely into the 725. It was an engine that had a very short production life which will make some parts hard to find. I don't think I've ever even seen a 20cuin engine on ebay, while I have purchased several model 19's. If it were me, I'd grab it. If you want it to be original, you can always fine a model 19 to stick into it.