Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Louofm1

Gas cap for Allis 912H

Louofm1
Hi guys, I think Im going to need to purchase a new gas cap for my 912H. Its an early to mid 1980's tractor and has the gas cap with a built in guage (protruding from top of hood). The current cap is good except it constantly "splits" gas up through the hole in the middle of gauge needle. I know some venting is necessary but I dont think it should be spitting to the point where there is a small pool of gas on top of the cap (within the gauge) after mowing for several minutes. Anyone have a part number for the cap? Engine is a 12HP single cylinder Kohler

Louofm1
good question. I did notice it was spitting quite a bit while the tank was full ...down through about 2/3 full. Im not sure how much it will spit for the remainder 2/3 of tank. I will let you know after I mow next time. I suspect it spits more, the more gas there is in the tank. Is this a common problem?? WIll a new cap cure it??

SmilinSam
Sounds like every other cap on any tractor I have ever had. The only time I ever replace is when the clear plastic cover becomes unable to see through, or when it comes off . If the tractor is never outside I usually dont worry about it as rainwater wont get into the tank when the tractor is stored inside a building.

blind_eagle
I usually don't top off my tank and that usually solves it for me. :) Other than that I have been thinking about trying to affix something below the cap that would still allow the air to vent but help to minimize the splashing. The difficulty is that it: * cannot be larger than the inside dimension of the cap * must not interfere with the center rod that allows the float to move * and can really only be mounted to the two vertical rails. Let's see if this quick drawing sparks any ideas... not sure if it would be better face up or down, either way there is a hole in the middle to prevent pooling of gas.