Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dik

2012 lurches

Dik
Instead of moving normally when put into gear, my 2012 now just sits there for a couple of seconds, then lurches forward a few feet before repeating the sequence. During the lurches, there is a groaning sound emanating from underneath. This is beyond my level of expertise, and the leaves are beginning to accumulate in the yard. Do you have any suggestions of what to try? Thanks; Dik

D-17_Dave
You'll need to varify where the transmision of power is failing. Please exercise some caution when performing these tests. Lift the rear deck pan and while idling the engine place the tractor in gear and slowly release the clutch. Watch the drive belt for slipage or otherwise any place in the clutch setup where binding could result in the drive belt slipping. DON'T place your hands near any moving objects, just look. If you notice something amiss, stop the engine and do a closer inspection. There are supposed to be some friction discs in the clutch pulleys inside the split pulley on the bevel gear box. If these are worn or missing you'll get a jumpy, jerky clutch. By your description it sounds like your loosing power possibly near the differential. But eliminate the easy stuff first.

John_RI
I wouldn't be comfortable following the suggestion of releasing the clutch while not being on the tractor. This could be extremely dangerous. There at several places to look, and things you can do that might help identify or eliminate where/what the problem might be while the engine is NOT running. A little more description of the issue, and what led up to it, would be helpful such as: did this behavior develop over time (how much?) or was it sudden? Is this occurring on level ground? Are there noises associated with it, etc?

Storm7012
quote:
Originally posted by John_RI
I wouldn't be comfortable following the suggestion of releasing the clutch while not being on the tractor. This could be extremely dangerous. There at several places to look, and things you can do that might help identify or eliminate where/what the problem might be while the engine is NOT running. A little more description of the issue, and what led up to it, would be helpful such as: did this behavior develop over time (how much?) or was it sudden? Is this occurring on level ground? Are there noises associated with it, etc?
Just set it on jack stands.

pungo
I would say it is the flexible "Bearing" in the split pulley.I took mine out and there wasn't much left.I cut one out of the top from a spray can,slid it on,trimmed it and it works! YMMV.

Dik
Thanks to all who've replied so far. Being a consummate rube in tractor repair, it will take a while to acquaint myself via the manual with the various parts you have mentioned and perform diagnostics. In the meantime, here is a response to your requests for more information. This occurred suddenly while I was cutting the grass. One moment everything was jake, the next the tractor was pausing and lurching. This was on level ground, and the engine and deck continued to operate normally. The aforementioned groaning noise seemed to come from underneath the seat or thereabouts as the tractor went into each lurch. Dik

JP10
Also check the spring that is attached to your clutch assembly under the seat pan, should hook up to a bolt on the top of the transmission. If it is weak that will make your belt slip. If it is easy to remove by hand, then you need a new spring. Had the same problem and that was the culprit, got a new spring and she was good as new. Good luck