Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
xenon172

Snowbird

xenon172
We got this old Yardman Snowbird snow blower for free a few weeks ago and the only thing wrong with it was it needed a new cable for the chute rotation mechanism. This is a unique device that rotates the drum and chute at the same time so discharge direction and elevation can be set by a single hand crank control. This seemed like a simple enough job and for a total of 75 cents of 1\16 cable a good idea. Who ever designed this machine had no love for the folks that might have to work on them and made sure every bolt and screw was in the hardest to reach location possible. Setting the cable timing took a little figuring out as well. One wrong twist and chute would rotate the wrong way, discharging snow into the operators face at mid rotation. This would have been fine for our alcoholic neighbor who would have simply thought it was snowing a lot harder than it looked but we finally got everything correct and just have to await the first snow to see how well it really works. I think this turned out to be a much more involved repair than it should have been is because that it looked too easy to begin with. It also has studded tires, the Tungsten Carbide type, which will be interesting to see how they work in the snow and ice

joshuaareed
Looks awsome, I always set myself up for the worst possible outcome and then it seems to go easy because I thought it was gonna be hard.

MPH
That is quite a cable routing system. Seems to me like a mis-named machine though, snowbirds up here fly far enough south for the winter they don't need on of them machines.:p

Sign in to follow this