Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

First towing - newly rebuilt hydro

OrangeMetalGuy

I have tractor #2 ready to tow up to the area where I can pressure wash and prep the sheetmetal to get it ready for POR-15. I've rebuilt the trans and have the hydro pump back on. My question - I plan to fill the hydro per the manual, depress the hydro freewheel pins, and I will pre-fill the filter before I screw it on. But what other precautions do I need to take before towing this machine (only about 500' total). My concern is turning the hydro since it's dry inside. I don't want to wear out anything since there's essentially zero trans fluid up there. No engine - that's why I can't drive the hydro pump. This is a 7016H (becoming a 716H).

You can try placing something else beside the tractor and with an extra belt, drive the pulley with a drill or simular device. This should slowly drive the charge pump and fill the hydro. Place the lever in about 1/3 stroke foward, when the wheels start to move you should have oil throughout the hydro and then neutral the pins and tow it.

I did think about just turning the pump via the pulley manually... would that pick up some fluid and work? Pungo not sure how I'd get the back end raised, unless I put it's tow hook on top of the other tractor's hook.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this... right now I am considering filling the unit and hand-turning the hydro pulley, thinking that will at least get some fluid picked up and into the unit. Or do I not even need to worry about this at all?

For the Vickers units the manual says to remove the spark plug and turn the pump using the starter motor only. I was skeptical, but it worked like a charm. I don't think turning it by hand would be fast enough to prime anything. Also I manually filled the pump by pouring fluid in through the return line.

I was under the impression that the relief valve on a sunstrand was only intended to allow it to be pushed a very short distance, such as accross a garage floor. The manual says not to tow it period. Trailer it if you can. As for the vickers units, they are quite different and roll rather easily, I think it seems like the gear actually disengages from the pump and it rolls like its in neutral.

HI, DO NOT TOW THIS TRACTOR 500 feet!!!! The motor in the hydro pump unit gets no oil unless the charge pump is running and the main pump is pumping oil to the motor. The charge pump DOES NOT put oil to the motor. Unlike the Vickers units on the earlier tractor that disconnect the pump assy. from the rear wheels by disconnecting the gear train, the pump on the Sunstrand units is always connected. When the tractor is towed the pump is geared up to a very high rpm and has no oil. This tears the slippers off of the pistons in the rotating group. We had a banker tow his 712 about 2 blocks about 13 years ago and it cost 1400.00 to fix it. About 1.50 per foot. The factory has always been adamant that if the motor is torn up and the pump isn't THERE IS NO WAY THIS DAMAGE CAN HAPPEN EXCEPT BY TOWING, and they would not pay warranty even if the tractor was to fail this way on the first day. It will totally destroy the motor side. One should NEVER move one of these tractors more than 50 ft and then slow by hand. The bypass is for incidental movement, like across the garage etc. Over the years, I have replaced or rebuilt about 5 units damaged from towing. I haven't priced the pump parts recently, but I expect the rotating group and valve plate would cost over 1000.00 new. Be warned. Al Eden

Thanks all. That's why I asked the question. I'll go about this another way and not tow it. As I said, right now there's no engine in it. I am hoping to get the body work done before it's too cold to paint, but I'll have to lift the rear up to move it. Thanks for your advice - I'll follow it. One last question though - after I fill up the trans with fluid, should I manually spin the driveshaft to get the pump turning, to pull some fluid through it for lubrication? It may be months before this machine has an engine in it.

Al, Thanks for the very useful information regarding towing/moving a Sundstrand hydro. I was planning to tow a 7018 from my upper garage to my basement garage/shop. You have probably saved me from ruining the Sundstrand. Thanks again,