Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Interesting haul - National Mower Company

grnlark

Tonight I picked up this National Mower Company belly reel mower. It has what appears to be the original Clinton cast iron 4 hp which runs mint. Notice the primitive electric start. I'm not sure if that would have been original or not, but it appears that maybe it is. I know nothing about these mowers, I just thought it was kinda neat. It has really nice original Good Year tires all the way around. I forgot exactly what they are - Gum-something. Does anyone know anything about these?

Mostly used at golf courses. Usually equipped with a wing mower on each side, not sure if the clinton is original to the tractor. Different if nothing else!

Looks to me like there's plenty good pad for your feet infront of the reel. Matbe not for a LITTLE kid to run. Now you need is a golf green added to your yard.

Wow, havent seen any of those in a few years... in the early 80's I worked for New York State Parks. I mowed quite a bit of grass with a National Triplex. On those machines it had the middle reel off the back and two "wing" reels hanging off the sides... when you were driving (not mowing) the wings came up an attached to the frame with a steel rod, the reels were raised manually by lifting them by hand. I do remember the brake was notoriously not so good... so if you were going down hill... never put it in neutral as you will go quite fast with no way to stop... I learned by accident.. they really did a nice job mowing... the ones we used in the park and campgrounds had been retired from the golf course

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
It's a FET (foot eating tractor)!! sm06
Now THAT'S funny!! :D Yeah, the thing is a little scary when you start it up. The blades are always engaged. It's just a matter of the deck being up or down. I'm definitely going to adjust the height of the mower and give it a shot, but I feel like I should wear an armored suit before I get on it. I'm still undecided what to do with it. It's kinda cool and certainly rare. As sacreligious as this may be, I'm considering yanking the Clinton to keep, tossing a Briggs on it and re-selling it. I'm not sure yet. The Clinton is what sold me. It runs mint too. If it wasn't for the Clinton, I would have passed it by.

Wonder Boy on steroids. I like Original old decal cast iron motors. If you sell the mower, better consider the liability if someone actually plans to mow with it. Put a non-running Briggs on it.