Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Les

My 7116 is eating belts

Les
My 7116 is ruining belts with the mower deck, it did fine with the snowblower, at first I thought that it was just cheap belts, but it is ruining a genuine Simplicity belt now. It looks like the belt gets turned on its side, thus wearing the edges off the belt. I am sure that I have the idler right, but please tell me which position is for mower. I am running a deck off of a 7016, could that be the problem? It did the same thing with a deck off of a 712S. I also had to put a different PTO clutch cone on this tractor. Thanks in advance, Les

Brent_Baumer
I believe you need the idler in the upper "ear" for the mower and the lower "ear" for the thrower. The idler position for the mower deck is at a sharper angle toward the center of the tractor than the position for the thrower, which I think is the upper position. It's pouring down rain right now or I would go to the detached garage and look for sure. Can anyone confirm??? Also check the position of the lower idler. Mine is about centered in it's slot if memory serves. Finally, also by memory, I think the belt rides in the right bevel gear on the center PTO. Brent

SmilinSam
The mower uses the tab that is bent more to the right of the tractor(upper tab). The snowblower uses the tab that is bent more to the left.(lower tab) Rust on the pulleys can turn belts and eat them. Idler pulleys out of line can do it. Too much or too little tension is not good either. Make sure the pulley and spindle on the deck is tight too. Wrong size or improperly spaced idlers can have undesirable effects too. Sam

dlcentral
And I learned that if the mower bearings/idlers are tight it'll flip the belt at lower engine speeds.Check the bushings at the frt. swivel part of hitch too. Check the pto bearing for being loose.Also it Sounds like too much tension on the belt.Switching decks is a nightmare to get the right size.7100 is 2.5 in. longer than 7016 on frames.Try a 176439 74.1 in?

Al
Hi, If you run the mower with the mower picked up can cause the belts to roll. Also we often space the front idler in or out with washers. Another thing to check is wear in the shaft on the front idler pivot arm. Mowing with the mower set to maximum height and then mowing uneven ground and humps also causes the belts to roll. Once they have turned even for a second they are ruined forever. Usually a shock load breaks one cord on one edge, then the belt sort of bellies sidewise and the strain is transferred to the next cord because the pull is not even across the belt and the next cord fails, at this point it is not uncommon for the belt to roll and when it does the edgewise pull on the cords as they go around the pulley finishes them. If you are not using the OEM belts don't be surprised if you have short belt life. There are a large number of cord materials and arrangements and wraps in belts. Belts are spec'd to be used in different ways. Size is only one small factor in a belt application. Good luck, Al