Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
albj93

Items to look for when buying a large frame

albj93
Hello everyone, I am going to look at a large frame(720/620/4040/4041) this week end and I am not familiar with these units. Are there certain areas that I should pay attention to as far as wear/problems? I thought this topic was covered a while back but I can't find it in the search..Even searching January 09 through February 09 in the talking tractors forum times out.... Thank you, Andy Waldorf Md.

Cityboy
Check the steering for play in the steering box, see if it has the mchanical fuel pump (or replaced with an electric pump), heat shields in place on the engine, wear in the bushings on the hydro lever, leaking rear axle seals... Don't ask how I know about these things! Dave

Ronald Hribar
check if the brakes work check if it charges does the starter work properly does the electric clutch for front pto work properly Does the rear pto work. many don't does it have all the pieces for 3 point hitch

UCD
Large frames are Simplicity 700, 725, 2000, 3000, 3100, 3200, 3400, 7000, 7100 series Allis Chalmers B1, B-10 Big-10 B-100, B-200 700, 900 series. Power Max series Simplicity 4040 4041 9020 and Allis Chalmers 616 620 720 are early sub compact tractors.

albj93

Well... I bought it... Wife is not too happy but... Thank you very much to everyone for their suggestions and tips. It barely ran. Owner said it needed the carburetor rebuilt as it was puffing out black smoke and sputtering. Also broke one of my cardinal rules of not buying a machine that has the air cleaner missing..Usually spells trouble..But it has a nice 60" mower deck, three-point hitch and rear PTO. It all works well. Got it home and Brandon(my oldest son) and I went through the carburetor. Made no improvement in the way it ran. Checked the points and timing and it was way off. The points box was loose on the motor and gap was way off. It's a wonder it even ran at all...Re-adjusted points and secured the points box and wow! it purrs like a kitten.. Drove it around some and it died/starving for fuel...Humm...No fuel filter on the supply line to the fuel pump. Pump is not working now...Took the pump apart and found rust flakes in the check valves. Cleaned all of this out, opened the carburetor back up and cleaned it out.. Cleaned the gas tank out. Installed new fuel filter... Purrs like a kitten again.. Drove it around for a little while and it died/starving for fuel again...Pump stopped pumping..Diaphragm in the pump is probably dead...Enough of this..Went to NAPA and bought the #610-1052 electric fuel pump and installed it. Purrs like a kitten again.. Cut about an acre in the back tonight and man what a machine! It needs a few engine pieces (Please see my add in the wanted section) and the steering is a little loose for my liking so that will be this weekends project. Thanks again to everyone for the tips and thanks to Scott Meyer (Orangemetalguy) for posing the pictures from the Arcadia show from which I found this. Andy Waldorf Md.