Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

738 Simplicity Broadmoor

ACGuy

Okay, guys--the days have gotten shorter and I'm starting on restoring my 738 Simplicity. I had to take one rear tire off and found that the original wheel color is an almost Allis-Chalmers cream color instead of bright white--as I'd thought it was supposed to be. These are the original wheels and Goodyear tires, so I know now the wheel was cream when new. Any ideas on paint color? Some of you had suggested white Krylon, but that won't work now. Also, I want to put lights on it. Would anyone have any clear pictures of a 738 with lights so I can make the brackets and find the correct type of lights? I know finding an original set is probably impossible, which is why I ask. The main thing I need to know is the diameter of the lights and the width and thickness of the brackets. I have an original owner's manual, but it doesn't give any dimensions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You guys are tops!

I mixed a pint of Rust-Oleum white and a pint of almond. I reduced the paint with the correct amount of acetone per Rust-Oleum's direction.

I think I got close. I shot the paint through my spray gun and was able to do about FIVE coats on all the white parts. I masked off the decals and CAREFULLY cut around them with a utility knife the DAY after I painted. There are also sources on this site for decal sets. I painted the entire rim without the tires mounted on them. I waited about a week for the paint to cure before I mounted the tires.

• 2 months later...
Okay--on the wheel and trim color--I found that Valspar almond is an almost exact match! Now for the bad news--when I took the transxale out I found that the big drive sheave had rusted completely through. Being thin sheetmetal, there wasn't much left in a raduis of about 4" on the outside. Has anyone run into this problem and does anyone know who sells a replacement? I can find cast industrial pulleys that will work, but I'd like to retain the original look. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys.

If you want to retain the original look the pulley is still available new from Simplicity. Simplicity PN# 2156119SM PULLEY 09 000OD 0 62 PN#: 156119 has been superceded to PN# 2156119SM Our Price: $49.97 http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8.wMYrE3Cwa5kbp796Dq http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8auLYrE3Cwa5kbp796Dq

Here's the OEM headlight setup my 728. The brackets would attach to your tractor the same way I would think.

The headlights are considered to be 4 1/2" I think, and they were made by Guide; Harley used this size as passing lamps. I added the visors which I picked up at the local Harley dealer (thanks for the tip Zippo)

You could probably fab some brackets without too much difficulty. The stock ones are just flat with three bends. I know this because I had to pound one of them back into shape; the P.O. rolled the tractor at some point.

Ken Your pictures are not displaying because of the spaces and brackets in your file names. You have to rename the files without the spaces and brackets and re-upload them to the site.

• 4 months later...
Hey Guys... Ray--above you list the pulley # and say "our price." Is that the club or a private dealer or what? I want to buy this pulley and would sure appreciate getting one at that price. Thanks!

I am in the process of redoing a 728 for my father in law. I like the Rustoleum Antique White. It is very close IMO.

ACGuy, any Simplicity dealer can order the pulley for you. The price listed is at Jack's Small Engines, an online dealer and an advertiser here on the site.