Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

transaxle repair

steve-wis

Was going to replace the bearings in the cover side of the transaxle on my Allis 810GT. When I got it apart, this is what I found...

The bore was almost .010" oversize. With roller bearings I was suprised to find this because there is no wear. It must be just from the constant pressure on the axle shaft. Anyway, I work in a machine shop, so me and the wife took a ride this morning. First, I bored out the housing oversize...

Then I made a steel sleeve with the bore undersized and the turn for a press fit into the cover.....

After pressing in the sleeve, I reset up on the mill and finish bored the cover...

Then I pressed in the new bearings, the new seal, and after polishing the axle shaft, reinstalled it into the cover.

Now to reassemble the tranny and get it back into the tractor. Thought you might like to see the pics of the process. Steve

It is a really nice perk that the boss will let me go in and use his machinery. He does get a bit testy if I do it too often tho, so I try to save it for bigger projects, like this one. Maybe someday I will have enough room in the garage for a mill and lathe,,,,but would have to get rid of a couple of tractors to make room, and that is a tough decision to make!!! Steve